Urgent help needed with my yellow lab fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matthew.1979

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just stripped my yellow lab, have about 17 fry. Placed them in a breeder in the tank. Shall I give them food? Whats next?
The pic is the best I have!!!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399110233.876205.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most dont have an issue being fed crushed cichlid flakes. Make it like a powder.

They look as still holding the sack. Shall I still feed them?

You think they are still holding the sack?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399111768.785703.jpg

If they ate free swimming you are good to feed. I cant really see through the ner lol.

If you see a slight yellow ball on their underside then don't feed them as they will not eat it and it will just get nasty. When the yellow ball is gone then you can proceed to feed them. Here is a picture with the egg sac still attached. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399125600.822445.jpg

And here is one with no egg sack. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399125736.485661.jpg

And also if that breeder net that they are in is in your main tank then you need to move it to another or put some kind of substrate in the bottom of the net as the larger fish will try to eat them through the net and kill them.

What is that container you have your yolk fry in Cecil? Could you take a couple more pics?

Thanks cecil for the pics, very helpful and once again thanks to gemach

What is that container you have your yolk fry in Cecil? Could you take a couple more pics?

It's in a home made bouncer that I made. I strip the female when she still has eggs and bounce them until they are big enough to swim on their own.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399248019.140450.jpg

Is the smallest tank vacuum that I could find. The netting is just a very fine fish net that I cut up. It is strung tight at the bottom to act as a trampoline for the eggs and at the top it has a bubbler fed into it. There are other ways to make it and mine is not the best I have to play around with it to get it working correctly. There are a lot of YouTube videos if you search for DIY cichlid egg tumbler. I just made my own version of what's on there. PM me if you have any other questions

So I don't have to feed them till they become yellow. At the moment the fry are still sort of transparent with eyes!!!

Lol yea that is correct. You will know when the egg sack is gone. They will look just like little fish. And the stomachs will not have a little ball on it.

Back
Top Bottom