Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

UV testing for a cichlid setup - Any experiences out there?

I was given the opportunity to try out a AquaTop 13 watt fully submersible UV sterilizer with built in pump. It's for up to 100 gallons.

I figured for free why not. I have to give it back in 2 weeks with a review for my buddy's fish shop. Here's the pics. Top is with the UV, I tried to hide it and the bottom of course is without. The UV has been running for a day and a half so far.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow! The top looks like something you would see in national geographic. Crystal clear, colours pop and the depth it shows. Who knew it would make that much of a visible difference. Or that your tank could possibly get any better! So jealous!

Old 04-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlani View Post
Wow! The top looks like something you would see in national geographic. Crystal clear, colours pop and the depth it shows. Who knew it would make that much of a visible difference. Or that your tank could possibly get any better! So jealous!
Thanks! So there's a difference obviously lol...

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 04-24-2013, 10:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's a better shot of it now and the second is before.

Same lighting...

Old 04-24-2013, 10:08 PM   #5

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Ooh it's like a game of where's Waldo? The only difference I see is the fake plant blocking the light, which is changing the appearance of the tank. Just send me the money your going to waste on that and I'll donate it to the Multiple Sclerosis Society for my wife.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow! It makes a huge difference. I have read that it doesn't do much of anything but there defiantly is a difference and it makes it look better to me. (I know you're OCD, so now you gotta buy one)
Old 04-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUKIT View Post
Ooh it's like a game of where's Waldo? The only difference I see is the fake plant blocking the light, which is changing the appearance of the tank. Just send me the money your going to waste on that and I'll donate it to the Multiple Sclerosis fund for my wife.
I was waiting for that... I didn't pay for it and its not mine to keep. I'm testing the product for my friend who owns a fish shop one town over. We're good friends and he asked me of wanted to try it out. I told him sure. I already hate the bulkiness of it, it's literally as tall as the tank. That's why I had to mount it horizontally and it was just a horrible eye sore I had to attempt to hide it.

With that all said... I'll still make a donation, if you PM the details is be happy to help out.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Let me add the pic before the fake plant

This thing is truly a minster!! And I don't mean that in a good way. It's HUGE!!

Old 04-24-2013, 10:18 PM   #9

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The first picture does indeed look better simply because the light is not as harsh and it's softening the features through shadowing, it would be cool to work a little green into the hard scape IMO. I say ditch th UV and keep the plant or find a way to defuse the light.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Honestly I think HUKIT is right. If you look the picture with the plant is changing the way the light hits the tank. Even the pic without the plant looks the same as the pic without the UV. Well.. I said I'd give it 2 weeks so...

Tags
cichlid, ich, setup, sting, testing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com