Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-08-2013, 12:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Peteostler43614's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Rapid City SD
Posts: 144
Vacation with a Cichlid

In a couple of weeks I am going on Vacation for about 2 weeks for the holidays. I recently acquired a Tiger Oscar, and am wondering what everyone suggests for feeding him during my vacation. I am nervous for an automatic feeder because I have found none that someone has not had a terrible experience with. I am using the API 14 day vacation feeder for my community tank, but I have never vacationed since getting the oscar. Thanks for the help.
__________________

__________________
Peteostler43614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator
 
Delapool's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 15,821
Hi, whichever you go for, I would test before you go. I had a 5 day feeder block dissolve overnight and had to go with a different brand. Can a neighbor pop in?
__________________

__________________
Delapool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rivers2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,694
I have not had one not fail. I will always ask someone else to help out while I am gone for more than 3 days.
__________________
Rivers2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers2k View Post
I have not had one not fail. I will always ask someone else to help out while I am gone for more than 3 days.
This. I keep those S-M-T-W-T-F-S medicine trays and fill them with food before i leave so when my friend comes over to feed they just dump it in and done!
__________________
93MSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:16 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Cumberland, MD
Posts: 2,444
A dozen or so feeder fish?
__________________
toddnbecka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:44 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TheCommunityCichlid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: N. Illinois
Posts: 4,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
A dozen or so feeder fish?
Feeder fish are not a healthy food item for most cichlids. If we discuss the disease that comes with them, they shouldn't be feed them at all
__________________
TheCommunityCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rivers2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93MSB View Post
This. I keep those S-M-T-W-T-F-S medicine trays and fill them with food before i leave so when my friend comes over to feed they just dump it in and done!
This is a great method I keep telling myself I have to get one of those.
__________________
Rivers2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Tbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Seattle, WA.
Posts: 609
I have 2 rotating automatic feeders on my tanks and they work great. If you use up to a medium sized pellet in them, then you can control the amount given per feeding. It takes a little trial and error before you have it dialed in.

With an oscar and other type fish that like to fly out of tanks during chow time...be cautious. They'll learn in 2 days the precise time and location of the food. You'll only need a 2x2in opening on the back of your tank where feeder vise clamps on.

I've used for vacations up to 2weeks with no issues. Just water evap.

I'm away from home right now, but will be back tonight if you'd like pics. I believe it's actually a petco product.
__________________
Tbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
AA Member
Community Moderator
 
Delapool's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 15,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbox View Post
I have 2 rotating automatic feeders on my tanks and they work great. If you use up to a medium sized pellet in them, then you can control the amount given per feeding. It takes a little trial and error before you have it dialed in.

With an oscar and other type fish that like to fly out of tanks during chow time...be cautious. They'll learn in 2 days the precise time and location of the food. You'll only need a 2x2in opening on the back of your tank where feeder vise clamps on.

I've used for vacations up to 2weeks with no issues. Just water evap.

I'm away from home right now, but will be back tonight if you'd like pics. I believe it's actually a petco product.
Pics would be great if you get a chance. I really should have a proper look at this for the holidays.
__________________
Delapool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Tbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Seattle, WA.
Posts: 609
Sorry I didn't get in till late yesterday , but haven't forgotten about the auto feeder pics.
This one is filled with an nls 1mm pellet. It is on the '2.5' setting which regulates the food portions to roughly 6 pellets per rotation. This is where the trial and error comes in.
You also have the option to have it rotate up to 8x for feedings in 24hr.

Kind of a quick scenario that I'm sure sounds confusing. Let me know if it is
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1130409250.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	211386   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2067612463.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	211387  

__________________

__________________
Tbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cichlid, ich, vacation

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.