Venting frontosa?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lady_Alia

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can anyone tell me at what age/size I should start venting my frontosa?

And I've read there are two ways to vent. 1 being to look at the holes and 2 being to squeeze the fish slightly and you look at the shape of what pops out (sorry, I don't know technical terms) Which procedure do I use with frontosa?

Thanks!

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
i dont think the 'squeeze' method is very safe :L
id use venting, and poss from about 2in for a frontosa xx

Lemme tell ya....the whole squeezing thing has given me nightmares!

kelbaker79 said:
Lol! Thanks for asking this question, I was going to do the same thing soon :)

No prob! It seems there's tons of info out there for cichlids but not so much on frontosas. At least not specific info that I've been able to find.

Frontosa mature very slowly and live a long time. I wouldn't worry about sexing them until they are 4-6 inches and it can be a difficult thing even then.

Frontosa Sexing

HN1 said:
Frontosa mature very slowly and live a long time. I wouldn't worry about sexing them until they are 4-6 inches and it can be a difficult thing even then.

Frontosa Sexing

Thanks!

I've got some that are getting to the 6" range but a couple of my others are small, I'm talking 2" MAYBE. It's weird cuz I got them all at the same time and they were about the same size. I just didn't expect that big of a size difference.
Anyway, one of my females dropped eggs a couple of months ago so I'm thinking I need to sex them soon. lol
I want to eventually weed my 11 down to 5.

That's crazy, eggs? From all the research I've done the larger faster growing ones are male and the small ones are females. Also they apparently aren't sexually mature till they reach about 4 years old.

kdpuffer said:
That's crazy, eggs? From all the research I've done the larger faster growing ones are male and the small ones are females. Also they apparently aren't sexually mature till they reach about 4 years old.

You're telling me! These guys aren't even a year old and she was dropping eggs!! I freaked! lol

Yeah, I've read they don't sexually mature till 2-3 years old, which explains why neither he nor she knew what to do about the eggs lol.

I was watching my tank last night and there's starting to be aggression between males so I think my time of sorting is coming sooner than I'd hoped. I'm really not looking forward to sorting them. Not to mention, I love them and don't wanna let a single one go!!

kdpuffer said:
I hear ya my males are pretty territorial. That's why I want a bigger tank, so I can keep more ;-)

Ohhhh I would LOVE to have a bigger tank, but hubby and mom won't let me....yet. I saw a 120g and could see my frontosas in there, they would be gorgeous!

Back
Top Bottom