Venturing into cichlids..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eggheadfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys! I post a fair amount on the other freshwater forums but just started venturing into this one. I've never kept cichlids before (ok I'm lying I've had a single angelfish) but I think I may look to get my feet wet in that regard in the future.
I guess my question is, what are good cichlid starters for a n00b?
I like the SA/CA as opposed to the Africans. My only current options would be something that fits in a 20 gal like maybe a single ram or pair.
I've already picked out a space for a 90+ tank in my place, but I have to finish paying for my MBA first :) so maybe in the next yearish.
If anyone has suggestions for hardy cichlids in both size tanks for me to read up on in the meantime, it would be much appreciated. I know there are tons of options and this is a generic question, sorry for that. Thanks!

For the 20 gal. You could do a pair of apistas, or a pair of rams. But it depends on if the tank is a 20 gal long, or a tall

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you can get a 20 gallon long, Petco's $1 per gallon sale starts the 26th.

In a 20 long you could keep a pair of the following: Rams, Apistos, Checkerboards, Convicts, Honduran Red points, C. nanoluteus.

I'm sure there are some more, those are just what I can think of off the top of my head.

I think my 20 is a tall but I'll have to check when I get home, I got it for free yesterday so haven't really checked it out or done anything with it yet. Since I figure it's tall I assume I would have to go with a single instead of a pair. I like rams (I know I can get them at the LFS) and I like apistos I'll check out the other ones mentioned. Potential tank mates would be some harlequin rasboras, maybe cories or otos depending on my "main fish" which I'll build around. Or I could do just a species with one or two, I'm not picky just want to have the right environment.
What about for a bigger (90+) tank? Too bad petcos $ per gallon doesn't go above 55!

Following because I have a 20g long with lots of plants and very few fish. Been on a fish purchase hiatus for over two years, so I'm waiting for something special.

I think my 20 is a tall but I'll have to check when I get home, I got it for free yesterday so haven't really checked it out or done anything with it yet. Since I figure it's tall I assume I would have to go with a single instead of a pair. I like rams (I know I can get them at the LFS) and I like apistos I'll check out the other ones mentioned. Potential tank mates would be some harlequin rasboras, maybe cories or otos depending on my "main fish" which I'll build around. Or I could do just a species with one or two, I'm not picky just want to have the right environment.
What about for a bigger (90+) tank? Too bad petcos $ per gallon doesn't go above 55!

Let's get your 20 figured out then tackle the 90 ;)

Here's my 20t stock.
Pair of rams
5 dwarf corys
5 trilineus corys
8 rummynose. Tetras
6 neons
5 Amano shrimp and some snails.
One weekly 50% wc
Tank is heavily planted and has been running with no random deaths for 5 months..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cool fish! I wonder if there's any chance someone stocks them locally.
And thanks Brookster I plan on planting as well.
My stock plan for my 15 includes some habrosas if I can find them so I might skip the dwarf species in the 20. I've got gobs of cory eggs if I have any luck with them I'll maybe keep some for the 20 if they're the species I want :) I'm guessing they're bronze.
I love my trilineatus but wish I could get some eggs from the rabauti.
Anyway I'll do some researching on the ones you guys mentioned. I have a feeling the rams are going to be the easiest for me to find around here unless anyone knows of someone in my area with good stock selection! (Western CT) The LFS can't even get in marbled hatchets or black neons for me so any rare-ish fish is going to be a pain to find. If I buy online I would prefer someone more local so shipping isn't insane.
Is there a specific reason you guys note a 20L would be better? I mean aside from the horizontal footprint/swimming space would it really be a crime to keep a pair? Sounds like no assuming I do all the necessary maintenance and have a setup that allows swimming space and adequate territory, but you guys tell me.
Side note: got some NLS in my secret Santa swap at work today whee!

Sorry one more question. Will a sponge filter be sufficient or should I go another route. I'm running two Marineland biowheels on my 55 and an AC 70 on the 35, planning a sponge for the 15 and have a spare sponge rated for 30 gal I could use but if it doesn't make sense I'll just keep spending money!

Checked out the dwarf checkerboard. From what I've read looks like they dig low ph, stay toward the bottom of the tank, and aren't easy to find. One site recommended they be kept in groups, so I'm not sure they would be an option for me based on the availability but will still keep checking into it.

Mog,
Checked your suggestions. I like both the Honduran red points and the apistos, but it seems like in general the info I looked up points to apistos being a little bit more difficult to care for than some of the other suggestions. Do you think this is the case?
The convicts and c nano look like they get a little bit bigger so I might not go for those.
Sorry for multiple posts I'm going back and forth here.

Mog,
Checked your suggestions. I like both the Honduran red points and the apistos, but it seems like in general the info I looked up points to apistos being a little bit more difficult to care for than some of the other suggestions. Do you think this is the case?
The convicts and c nano look like they get a little bit bigger so I might not go for those.
Sorry for multiple posts I'm going back and forth here.

It all depends on the apisto species really, but the more common ones are pretty bullet proof. Most of my suggestions are based on a 20L.

Apisto cacatoides are a great starter dwarf, relatively forgiving of less than perfect parameters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well of course I plan on picture perfect parameters! Haha, I just like to make sure I have a little wiggle room so that I'm not accidentally murdering fish, ya know. Especially since cichlids would be a new endeavor for me.
Thanks!

Brookster those guys are cool, lots of coloration patterns but they seem to cost a pretty penny! If they're more forgiving it may be worth it :)

Back
Top Bottom