Venustus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid-dude

Aquarium Advice Addict
I Bought 3 juvi venustus from the lfs about a month ago. They are about 3" now. I was wondering at what size will males begin to get the blue coloring? I hope i have at least 1 male.

Perhaps at the 3.5" size is when the dimorphism starts to develop, beginning with dark pigmentation forming in the dorsal, pelvic and anal fins and followed by darking of the frontal facial area forward of the face and around the nostril area, and the disappearance of yellow pigmention of the gill plate and throat area. It may be another inch or two before the head permanently turns blue.

Below (right) is a young male possessing the traits I mentioned, compared with a female (left) which lacks them:
img_2017049_0_50271c3c8bba1f41e60554e6bd1a05ce.jpg

Cichlid-dude said:
I Bought 3 juvi venustus from the lfs about a month ago. They are about 3" now. I was wondering at what size will males begin to get the blue coloring? I hope i have at least 1 male.

How big is your tank? Yo know those can grow to 10-11" right? They really need a 110 gallon long.

Sorry for the late response on this. I am well aware of the size they reach. They are in a 180 gallon tank.

Back
Top Bottom