Venustus sexing...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kelbaker79

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How do I know if I have males or females?

They are both 4-5 inches. One is slightly bigger than the other.

1st one: color has slightly faded, sort of a "washed out" version of what it was. This is also the larger one. And the forsaking fin has a little blue tint to it now.

2nd one: colors have gotten brighter actually and now has developed a very bright yellow "mohawk" running from nose to tail.

Any ideas??

Not the best pic in the world, but maybe it will help a little bit :)

ForumRunner_20111120_204101.jpg

The male will eventually have a completely blue head and blue fins as well.Even his forsaking fin ;) These are his adult colours.The female will stay pretty much as she is.
The males look stunning covered in blue.

garfy said:
The male will eventually have a completely blue head and blue fins as well.Even his forsaking fin ;) These are his adult colours.The female will stay pretty much as she is.
The males look stunning covered in blue.

So, if they are male, or even just one is male, when should I expect the color change?

Well if one has already started to turn blue he will slowly keep changing colour.take a photo and then look again in a week and see the difference.

garfy said:
Well if one has already started to turn blue he will slowly keep changing colour.take a photo and then look again in a week and see the difference.

He hasn't started turning blue, has a mile white/blue tint on the very top of his fin...been that way for about a month now with no change, that's why I'm so confused!!! Thanks for all your help!!!

Some indicators I have observed regarding gender differences among males which have not yet developed blue facial pigmentation and females of similar size:

One indicator is dark pigmentation among the pelvic and anal fins. These fins remain distinctly yellowish among the females. The fins of the juvenile males are darker. This dimorphic characteristic occurs before the facial change does and is evident when the male is in the 3"-4" size range.

Another indicator is the shape of the anal fin. The end of the female's anal fin is rounded while that of the male is tapered. The dorsal fin tips are similarly shaped. There is also greater distance between the end of the female's anal fin and start of her caudal fin. The distance between the two fins is shorter among males (the male's anal fin tip will significantly extend pass the base of the tail base among fully matured specimens).

Juvenile females possess more yellow coloration around the throat and gill plates than juvenile males. This is evident when the fish are in the 2.5"-3" size range.

Sub-adult venustus:
Female (left), male (right, displaying the above signs of dimorphism)
img_1657857_0_2c447351408ff52bad3d5acaef2a48ea.jpg

garfy said:

He is starting to turn blue in his face now...glad I took that last photo so I have something to compare him to :)

ForumRunner_20111212_124927.jpg

Back
Top Bottom