Victorian id and fry help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCommunityCichlid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I have two females holding. What is the best way to keep they fry? Put them in breeder boxes? Then when they release fry take them out or leave them in with the fry? I have mixed Africans and I know the fry will be eaten in there. Then what should I feed them? Also can you tell me the species these are the best pictures I can get

image-2511520493.jpg

image-1405864463.jpg

image-1797141574.jpg

Attachments

• image-2051495011.jpg
    image-2051495011.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 118
They look to me like a thick skin. If your wanting to keep the fry then yes put them in a breeder tank till she spits. Remove the female back to the main tank. You can crush flake food up really small and they will eat it to keep thing simple. As they grow youll need to move them to another tank to keep growing the out

I know they told you those are ruby greens - not so sure that is correct or the line is clean here's a pic of dad to mine in non-spawning colors - will try to get one of the males in full dress
img_2385366_0_35c36e8e8ddf26115a012819cf194684.jpg

here's another pic but of a fulu for comparison
img_2385366_1_0459ad2e4852d85d060cc3bdf5158e48.jpg

but the striped ones are a definitely the sp 44 thick skins

They look very similar mine are not full grown yet, i don't know if the colors will change more or not. Any idea on what they are if not ruby green?

I'm pretty new to this, but I was just going to say that they look an awful lot like my Kyoga Flameback. Just a thought.

I do have these don't know if their thick skins or zebra whatever. Anyways they aren't the ones holding. Here is a pic of one of the females not the greatest they like to stay in the back by the plants

image-3408713411.jpg

image-3200324267.jpg

Left, Haplochromis obliquedens?

Ok I have two females holding. What is the best way to keep they fry? Put them in breeder boxes? Then when they release fry take them out or leave them in with the fry? I have mixed Africans and I know the fry will be eaten in there. Then what should I feed them? Also can you tell me the species these are the best pictures I can get

View attachment 159361

View attachment 159359

View attachment 159358

Fish on the left looks like
-Haplochromis obliquedens (sp. kyoga flameback)

can't really tell on the right side.

Many of these victorian cichlids are part of the haplochormis genus with the only thing changing is the species (sp.)...you will find a lot of
Haplochromis sp. kyoga flameback
Haplochromis sp. all red
Haplochromis sp. red tail back
etc....

The color variations vary quite a bit, easy to have different species look alike as well.

Good luck!

Yea I think they are ruby greens, the guy I bought from knew his stuff he just named some many I couldn't keep track. I sent him the pictures and he knew right away

Back
Top Bottom