Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-24-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Vinegar on Texas Holey Rocks

Is it safe to "bleach" holey Rock with vinegar? I'm trying to get them really white for my new tank and vinegar seems to be what people use, has anyone else tried vinegar or anything else?

Old 11-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have never tried it but it should be safe. I would probably soak it clean water afterwards.

The only thing I have used to bleach holey rock is......bleach.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was going to use bleach but others have said that vinegar is better. How was your outcome with bleach? What process did you use as far as ratio to water and how long and how'd you soak it afterwards in clean water?
Old 11-24-2014, 05:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by t57spikes View Post
I was going to use bleach but others have said that vinegar is better. How was your outcome with bleach? What process did you use as far as ratio to water and how long and how'd you soak it afterwards in clean water?
It probably is better, I just haven't tried it.

I don't remember what the concentration was. I know I used a lot of bleach though so I would guess 1:20 maybe? I would definitely google that though.

I soaked it in clean water with 10x dose of Prime for a days, twice and then sat it in the Texas summer sun for 3 days. That may be overkill but I was nervous about it.

Holey rock is so porous that I would much rather have traces of vinegar in my tank than traces of bleach if the vinegar works.

Tags
hole, rock, rocks, texas, vinegar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com