Vortex XL Diatom Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chuck99

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone know of any other product that does the same job as Vortex XL Diatom Filter.

I just need it on occasion to take some of the tiny particles of fish waste thats builds up within the tank over time that my eheims 2217s don't capture. I have a 165 tank

They don't seem to be as popular as they once were, as most have been discontinued. Vortex is the only company that I know who still produce them, I could be wrong here. I have a Whisper Diatomagic diatom filter and people don't know what they're missing, diatomaceous earth powder literlly makes the water sparkle like diamonds. There is no comparison to filter floss or polyfill when compared to diatom filters, I hated to see them go.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
HUKIT said:
They don't seem to be as popular as they once were, as most have been discontinued. Vortex is the only company that I know who still produce them, I could be wrong here. I have a Whisper Diatomagic diatom filter and people don't know what they're missing, diatomaceous earth powder literlly makes the water sparkle like diamonds. There is no comparison to filter floss or polyfill when compared to diatom filters, I hated to see them go.

Do you think putting a bag of diatomaceous earth in a regular HOB filter would work well?

Do you think putting a bag of diatomaceous earth in a regular HOB filter would work well?

Your could probably make something, but there dedicated polyester filter socks and screens that collect the fine particles you could incorporate.

Last edited:
HUKIT said:
Your could probably make something, but there dedicated polyester filter socks and screens that collect the fine particles you could incorporate.

Just curious because I see the replacement bags for the vortex on amazon and wondering how it would work tossing one in my filter

I'm sure you could rig something up, I'm not familiar with the Vortex but with mine you can see in the picture it goes in the tank(reverse HOB)sucking the water through the filter sock which holds the diatom powder as opposed to a HOB which pulls the water up.

Plus the powder is cheap I to the local pool supply store and they gave me a pound for free which should last forever.

Last edited:
Thanks ... Maybe for what I need it for I can buy a small eheim one just to remove the waste that gets stored up when they are eating - other than this the water is crystal clear.

Back
Top Bottom