Wacky nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhemp34

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've recently experienced extreme nitrate boost. Here's the catch I dont know why. My 55 is running on my API kit between 40 and 80..??? I've done multiple vaccums of substrate. Done a mid level water change. Good thing is ph is 8.2 and ammonia 0 and nitrate 0...I just cant get this nitrate down.?? any suggestions other than water changes?? Also using prime which is supposed to remove nitrates. Its all in the tank because my tap test 0 for nitrates..Help:uzi::bandit:

Huh? Any plants in the tank? I've been trying to fart around with the plants for a while to bring mine down.

I would also make sure that you dont have a bunch of gunk in the bottom of one of your filters. Whether it be an HOB or canister, if crud builds up in the bottom of the case it will cause high nitrates. Pull out your media (making sure you keep it wet to prevent die off) and check the bottom of the filter. If that isnt the case I would do big water change initially (75-80%) followed by smaller ones (50%) weekly until it is under control.

wont putting 80% new water in the tank cause shock on my existing fish..i did about 50% next day test still 40 to 80/....checked HOB filter media...rinsed media..

80% wont shock fish if you temp match and dechlor. You did rinse the media in tank water, right?? Never rinse in tap water. Also not just the media, but check inside the HOB to make sure there is not gunk accumulated in the bottom of it. You dont have an undergravel filter do you? Or possibly a dead fish that you cant find? He did say in original post that tap was 0 nitrates. Something is rotting that is causing the nitrates.

im sorry my original post didnt make since...My nitrates are testing around 40-80 on my API test kit. MY NITRITES and Ammonia are both at 0. Ph 8.2. ON Monday I did a 50% water change.. Today I did a 35 gallon change and removed media..(you're right it was gunky) I want to replace my carbon and ammonia media

i think i had some java moss and the fish were eating it..the floating strands sucked into my filter and i think that could have caused it....can i use new media??will that mess with my cycle

As long as you have the substrate and some decor in there with the bacteria on it you should be ok changing the media....

Not sure how good of an idea this is but every few water changes I do are 50%s.... I will stick my arm in there and stir up the gravel real good to bring up all the gunk and get it sucked out, as well as sticking teh gravel vac in super deep to get the "dusty puffs".

Last few times I did as above and my nitrates have been low, and I get high nitrates out of the tap.

i have been going through this problem as well. the trick that has worked best for me is suck the gravel thorolghy, large water changes and completely remove your canister filter(onliy if you have a sump) i use my canister filter everytime i do a water change now just for about 3 hours, i fill it full of polyester (local fabric store about 11.00 a yard) and buffer the water. My nitraes are now approching zero, started out over 100 now almost zero. this wasnt a quick process as i learned major things lately such as feeding intervals,overstock, etc. but the quickest thing to drop levels were to siphon the gravel very well while doing a water change. also take a turkey baster or power head and blow your rocks off when you do a water change(this is where a canister filter comes in handy to buffer the water) good luck my freind thats all ive got, i dont know if its the best way but its what i am doing.

Back
Top Bottom