Walmart chiclids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crewless

Aquarium Advice Activist
What makes them differant than other fish and i would like to know if it would be an ok purchas for a 5 gallon tank or a 10 gallon

There are very few readily available cichlids that would do well in a 10g... very few period for a 5g... not sure how walmart plays in to anything though...

My local walmart has dwarf chilids really small so i thought they could go in a small tank like a 5 gallon

Depends on cichlid but most likely not I don't think. What kind?

Crewless said:
My local walmart has dwarf chilids really small so i thought they could go in a small tank like a 5 gallon

Just because they're small doesn't mean they're dwarf. I don't even think a dwarf cichlid would fit comfortably in a 5g or 10g. A 20g long is probably the minimum for a dwarf cichlid- but I have no experience with cichlids so I'm not positive.

I personally never trust walmart fish. I have seen people lose their entire stock after adding a fish walmart on numerous occasions don't know if they were sick or what just know their setup was running great till the addition of a fish from walmart. Good luck maybe your walmart takes better care of their tanks than ours.

I love getting fish from my walmart and have only had one problem with one of their fish (not a big deal) but cichlids are just one of those fish that do need atleast 15g and up in my opinion but I'm not very experienced with this species either so good luck on whatever u decide !
-Josh

It all depend on the wal-mart and who's keeping up with the fish! I got my first blood parrot from there and he is fine. My brother got a cichlid from there and he is fine too. All but 1 fish we got from there died but all depends on place. Most are bad though.

I have three dwarf cichlids, I keep mine in a 46gal and they use every inch of it. I don't think I would keep that kind of fish in anything smaller than a 30gal unless it was a 20gal long. They really like to play:)

I would definately not keep ANY cichlids in a 5 gallon...or a 10 gallon for that matter (unless you get a shellie maybe) Cichlids in general need larger tanks :(

But but but the so gorgous !!!..... They are fresh water corect?

Yes, I'm assuming youre referring to the "assorted Africans". Those definitely won't fit in either tank

That tank is way too small...

I would totally agree. I have a pair of dwarfs (apistos) in a 17 gallon and I find that it is on the borderline of being too small. It's not about the bioload, it's about the aggression. These guys need a LOT of room. I think if I had them in anything smaller, one of them would be dead by now.

I myself rescued a Tiger Oscar from Meijer & grew em out to 6in..gave em to my lfs fish guy...I'm a Walmart "HATER",NOTHING good can come out of shopping at Walmart especially fish!

Don't put chlids I..anything.g less than 40 gallon. They do look awesome. But sick dying fish look sad... So take care and don't cramp man. If u want those u gotta get a big tank.

I think the generalization of tank sizes for cichlids shouldn't keep be recommended. Especially since we don't know exactly what the cichlids are. But saying I wouldn't put cichlids in anything less than x gallons isnt very accurate. There are tons of fish that are cichlids. Shellies can be kept in 10 gallon tanks, even though the cichlids probably aren't Shellie's I just think the blanket statements aren't very accurate...

But but but the so gorgous !!!..... They are fresh water corect?

I'm gorgeous, too, but I'll get really cranky if you stuff me into a 5 gallon tank. ;)

You need to find out the specific species, then come back home and do research on that species. You need to provide them with the tank they will need at their adult size. Doesn't really matter how small they are right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom