Want to breed my cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Renn1206

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 female cichlids in my 55 gal they are all still small fish but im thinking of gettin a 15gal to put them into with one male cichlid around the same age by the way they are convict n albino convict. And the filtering system i want to use is the foam filter but i dont understand how that works. What is it that i need is it like a canister filter type if deal? And im goin to use play sand as a substrate.

You have to know when they going to breed and if they like eachother. Than they go to pare up. That is the sign that they going to breed. It can take some time. So watch closely. Than you can put them in a nother tank.

I agree ^^ convicts have partners and keep them they are very loyal:)

15g is too small. They might not breed in that due to stress. Also, who do you plan to breed the convicts for, they are cheap fish and not many stores take them.

I grow green terror for a lfs. I get credit for it. He wants fish at least about 5 inch so he can sell them for big box . It's fun to do. And I sell my fry to him. At least 3 dollar for green terror I get more.

Sponge filters are great for breeding and fry set ups. They simply run off an air pump. They offer great biological filtration, but vacuuming the substrate is essential. You can make your own here's a link to an excellent k1 floating bed sponge filter, which I have used and adapted.

Hope that works if not search moving bed filter.

As mentioned before convicts pair up, so when they swim together and look like they are digging a pit, it's a good sign. Also look out as the female will turn yellowish orange in the belly as she fills with eggs, and you will see the breeding tubes develop.

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom