Want to start a cichlid tank in the future, not sure where to start.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jvdb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When our basement is finished I will be putting a large aquarium down there and would really like to make it an african cichlid tank. My issue is I am not that familiar with cichlid personalities and requirements which is making it hard to do proper research. My main concern is limiting aggression since cichlids are notoriously territorial. I'm thinking Lake Malawi cichilds but am not set on it yet. My main goal is a large active and colorful tank with limited bullying.
Things I have learned so far:
- provide lots of rock/caves for them
- 55 gallon minimum (75+ is much better)
- slightly overstocking can help spread out aggression
- compensate in filtration if overstocking (also requires more frequent water changes).
- feeding more frequently throughout the day may also calm some aggression
- adding all fish as babies and at once can help avoid disputes. If adding a new adult it is a good idea to rearrange all the rocks in the tank so that everyone has to find new territory all over again.
I would really like some suggestions on species I should look into first so that I can start learning about them and finding suitable tank mates. Please correct me if I am wrong with any of the above things I mentioned, and I would be grateful for any other tips you may have. I am familiar with freshwater fish keeping in general. Thanks in advance.

Can you go bigger? Length wise and width? Look at peacock cichlid. I think you will like what you see

Can you go bigger? Length wise and width? Look at peacock cichlid. I think you will like what you see

I think so. Going to do a DIY built in, thinking maybe 120 gallons. Definitely want larger than 55 sine I have a 30g upstairs and want something drastically different for the next tank. Had thought about looking into peacocks, good to hear they might be a good place to start. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Their aggression are mild peaceful. I will say go big you won't regret . If you can have an overflow it will be a plus with a sump. Filter changes will be easy and added water volume is a plus. Will water changes be easy down there? Access to do PWC every week or 2 weeks?

When our basement is finished I will be putting a large aquarium down there and would really like to make it an african cichlid tank. My issue is I am not that familiar with cichlid personalities and requirements which is making it hard to do proper research. My main concern is limiting aggression since cichlids are notoriously territorial. I'm thinking Lake Malawi cichilds but am not set on it yet. My main goal is a large active and colorful tank with limited bullying.
Things I have learned so far:
- provide lots of rock/caves for them
- 55 gallon minimum (75+ is much better)
- slightly overstocking can help spread out aggression
- compensate in filtration if overstocking (also requires more frequent water changes).
- feeding more frequently throughout the day may also calm some aggression
- adding all fish as babies and at once can help avoid disputes. If adding a new adult it is a good idea to rearrange all the rocks in the tank so that everyone has to find new territory all over again.
I would really like some suggestions on species I should look into first so that I can start learning about them and finding suitable tank mates. Please correct me if I am wrong with any of the above things I mentioned, and I would be grateful for any other tips you may have. I am familiar with freshwater fish keeping in general. Thanks in advance.

Cichlid Forum has information about species, size, aggression, and also a section on cookie cutter set ups. If you want to breed fish you will need a lot of aquariums as cchlids breed worse than mice. Many people pick a male Hap and Peacock mix. Go as large as you can as you will get hooked. My 180 Gallon has:
Placidochromis Deep Water Hap, Phenoculus Tanzania, Pheno White Lips Mdoka, Protomelas Taiwan Reef, Protomelas Steveni Imperial, Protomelas Spilotonus Mara Rocks, Protomelas Spilotonus Tanzania, Lethrinops Lethrinus, Lethrinops Mbasi Creek, Lethrinops Intermedius, Auloncara Lemon Jake Peacock, Benga Yellow Peacock, Blue Neon Peacock, two German Red Peacocks, two Ngara Flametail Peacocks, Masoni Peacock, Koningsi Peacock, albino Red Shoulder Peacock, albino Firefish, two Copadichromis Verduyni, Labidochromis Yellow Lab, Afra White Top Hara, Kyoga Flameback, Otopharynx Yellow Blaze Zimbabwe Rocks, Moori Blue Dolphin, Protomelas Dejunctus aka Fire Blue and four Syndodontis Multipunctatus. Fossochromis Rostrus.
I went though several German Red Peacocks before I found some that were peaceful. I will also drop the Dejunctus as he is too dominant and my Taiwan Reef and Imperial faded out once they lost dominance. The Lethrinops are also now faded out.
People will say not to mix Mbuna and Victorians into the Hap Peacock set up, however mine works.

ralfieboy,

Are your german red, a real german red strain? My 130g is looking way too small the 180g is not to far away. Glad i have these cement slab floors so no worries on weight.

Their aggression are mild peaceful. I will say go big you won't regret . If you can have an overflow it will be a plus with a sump. Filter changes will be easy and added water volume is a plus. Will water changes be easy down there? Access to do PWC every week or 2 weeks?

There will be a bathroom right on the other side if the wall from the closet where I will have access to the built in tank. My husband needs to put all the plumbing in for the bathroom so I am going to convince him I need a drain and water access right in the closet. Would make water changes so incredibly easy to have it all set up.

I just got him used to the idea of making me a built-in so waiting a week or two before I propose the water hook up idea haha. Regardless there will be other water access in the basement but can you imagine how awesome it would be to have a hose pretty much permanently hooked up?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have heard people say mbuna and peacocks shouldn't be mixed but I learned that if the peacock is larger than the mbuna in the tank and added first, there's a higher chance that they will co-exist with less aggression.

Bathroom next door sweet! Some of the bigger aquariums i have seen a mid & bottom drain. The pipes exit out the house. Then another pipe in the sump with a value to fill.

I use the python to fill and use a bigger hose to dump out the water to the lawn by the way of gravity. If i need a fast PWC, i use the 1 inch hose and pretty much takes care of the water in no time.

ralfieboy,

Are your german red, a real german red strain? My 130g is looking way too small the 180g is not to far away. Glad i have these cement slab floors so no worries on weight.

I have one that was imported from Germany and one tank raised. The tank raised is redder. Both co-habitate better than I thought. The one from Germany is more Orange than red. The two foot width makes a difference for the fish in a 180. I also feed every other day.so that they do not grow as fast. Do not feed different foods. This will cut down on bloat. Africans have long digestive tracts and do not have to eat everyday.

I have heard people say mbuna and peacocks shouldn't be mixed but I learned that if the peacock is larger than the mbuna in the tank and added first, there's a higher chance that they will co-exist with less aggression.

My Yellow Lab does not bother any of the fish and he s one of the oldest in the tank. I do agree that to be safe add any Peaceful Mbuna last. I had experimented with some more aggressive Peacocks and had to get rid of them. OB, Red Shoulder, and Otter Point. I also had a Lwanda that was not liked and died from being chased.

You will make mistakes and finding the right combination takes time. I will be adding a Bi-color 500 Peacock, Copadichromis Azureus, and an Otopharynx Heterdon to my tank.

I have a peacock, hap and mbuna tank. They have coexisted for about 6 months now. I have a mixture of adults and juveniles, I've only had to rehome a few from aggression.

Have you guys been to the biggest Mc Donald in the world? Should check out their aquarium....

I have a mix in mines. OB zebra is king and he rather swimming back and forth. Once in a blue moon puts others in their place.

I should give you my yellow lab he likes to to cause trouble at times. He is a tab on the big size

Lol it is funny how every now and then you get a bully. I had a Blue Neon Peacock that was a bully, I traded him and the new owner lost all of his female Blue Neons. He finally believed me.

93p2uc.jpg

nQU919.jpg

if your looking for a mildly peaceful tank with lots of color I would do an all male peacock tank. If you go with mbuna, prepare yourself for aggression and some of the fish killing each other. You really only need lots of rocks for mbuna, peacocks not so much. If you have a bathroom right next to the tank invest in a python for 30-40 bucks. You won't need a drain in the closet, you can drain the water to your sink easily.

Africans need slightly different water parameters than tropical fish. Look up water parameters for the specific fish you plan to keep. Temp 74-78 just keep it consistent. PH needs to be 7.8 or higher, test your tap water first. Water needs to be buffered, you can use crushed coral substrate, texas holey rock, or some crushed coral in a mesh bag in your filters. By buffering the water it will help keep the PH steady. When you get new fish from the fish store, make sure to acclimate the new fish to your water, there might be a difference in PH from the store water to yours. Good luck on your new tank, cichlids are fun to keep

Back
Top Bottom