Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2014, 09:31 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers2k View Post
You are fully stocked. Severum require a 55 to themselves. I doubt your sev is stunted just by someone messing with the tank, it should be fine. It is probably just growing slowly. Stunting comes from a long duration of poor quality of living.

Workers were moving the aquarium when I wasn't home due to renovations. To move it they took out 60% of the water and then added freezing water back in!! The temp went from 80 to 45 in 2 minutes. A family member in the house was able to take all the fish out and put them in a pot. All of then were belly up. I had 4 casualties, no one knew what was going on for 30 minutes
Till I got home and fixed it. The Severum hasn't grown in months now. I've been keeping track.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:33 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesyboy11 View Post
Try more hiding places, it help ruduce agression, and get a small parrot, and keep him on a high protein diet, it helps them grow faster, so maybe if he gets bigger he can go in with your bigger fish, but lots of caves, logs or rocks help alot

Ok thanks

Old 03-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlid.Keeper View Post
Workers were moving the aquarium when I wasn't home due to renovations. To move it they took out 60% of the water and then added freezing water back in!! The temp went from 80 to 45 in 2 minutes. A family member in the house was able to take all the fish out and put them in a pot. All of then were belly up. I had 4 casualties, no one knew what was going on for 30 minutes
Till I got home and fixed it. The Severum hasn't grown in months now. I've been keeping track.
Sorry that happened to you. I would be extremely pissed! I don't think that will stunt its growth probably just at a slow growing period again. Do multiple water changes a week and you might see him gain some size. I was surprised at what water changes and tank size will do.

I separated two Firemouths for about a month due to aggression they were the same size in a 75 when separated. The I put 1 in a 20 long and just reintroduced last week. The one in the 75 is noticeably larger however when looking at them separately I didn't think either had grown.

Anyways sorry for my rambling, good luck with your severum glad he made and hope he starts growing again.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Sorry that happened to you. I would be extremely pissed! I don't think that will stunt its growth probably just at a slow growing period again. Do multiple water changes a week and you might see him gain some size. I was surprised at what water changes and tank size will do.

I separated two Firemouths for about a month due to aggression they were the same size in a 75 when separated. The I put 1 in a 20 long and just reintroduced last week. The one in the 75 is noticeably larger however when looking at them separately I didn't think either had grown.

Anyways sorry for my rambling, good luck with your severum glad he made and hope he starts growing again.

Ok will do. Thanks. It's really hard for me to do water changes because the tank is so tall. Anyway let's say I move the Severum if he gets to big. What other options would you suggest?
P
Old 03-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you move the severum a Firemouth would do well with the parrot. They are my personal favorite.

With that huge parrot you need something that wont get eaten but wont get to big. Some dwarf cichlids might do well Bolivian rams or Kribensis.

If you don't want cichlids you might be able to do some skirt tetras or a school of barbs like tiger or black ruby. Raphael catfish or school of corry cats.

To help with water changes if you get a python (vacuum) that runs to your sink height wont mater.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:07 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
If you move the severum a Firemouth would do well with the parrot. They are my personal favorite.

With that huge parrot you need something that wont get eaten but wont get to big. Some dwarf cichlids might do well Bolivian rams or Kribensis.

If you don't want cichlids you might be able to do some skirt tetras or a school of barbs like tiger or black ruby. Raphael catfish or school of corry cats.

To help with water changes if you get a python (vacuum) that runs to your sink height wont mater.

I have a python. Still pretty tuff. And about the knobs or rams, they need a neutral ph and mine is 7.5. Will that be okay?
Old 03-07-2014, 04:46 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlid.Keeper View Post
I have a python. Still pretty tuff. And about the knobs or rams, they need a neutral ph and mine is 7.5. Will that be okay?
I would actually stay away from the kribs and rams if you cant do regular water changes they are pretty sensitive to water perimeters.

What do you think of the tiger barbs or black ruby barbs? They are hardy fish and very pretty IMO.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:32 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I would actually stay away from the kribs and rams if you cant do regular water changes they are pretty sensitive to water perimeters.

What do you think of the tiger barbs or black ruby barbs? They are hardy fish and very pretty IMO.

Water changes is not a problem. I also have a filter that cycles 115 gph. So water quality is always. Pretty good.

Tags
tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com