Want your opinions on adding to my tank :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid.Keeper

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys. This may be the wrong place to ask this but I like this group cause they are very knowledgeable.
Anyway I have a recently started 65 gallon aquarium running for 2 1/2 months now. With African cichlid substrate( thought I was doing Africans)
I had to get rid of my 55g because I was told that my I can't have to giant aquariums next to each other in the living room :/ anyway lol I had to transport the fish and they were:
A full grown red parrot
A small 2 inch Severum(possibly stunted growth from someone messing with my tank by accident)
2 gouramis
6 inch pleco

Texas holy rock/ lots of hiding spots
Ph 7.5.
Eheim pro 3 filter

I can't sell the gouramis. Cause one
Was born with a mutation in its eye and no fish store will accept. So what fish can I put in this aquarium. As I know Africans are not an option :(

Thanks in advance!

Well ive never had gouramis before, but oscars are friendly and ive had lots of succses with them with other fish, as long as they are simler sizes, you might be able to have knifefish as they are pretty docile, you could also probably put in blood parrots as long as simler sizes, do NOT put in any green terrors or jack dempseys as they are extremely aggresive.
Hope my advice helps
Cheers.

Well ive never had gouramis before, but oscars are friendly and ive had lots of succses with them with other fish, as long as they are simler sizes, you might be able to have knifefish as they are pretty docile, you could also probably put in blood parrots as long as simler sizes, do NOT put in any green terrors or jack dempseys as they are extremely aggresive.
Hope my advice helps
Cheers.

Parrots this size go for around 70$ a piece. The smaller ones are 20$! So I can't afford the big ones for sure and anything else to offer?

Try more hiding places, it help ruduce agression, and get a small parrot, and keep him on a high protein diet, it helps them grow faster, so maybe if he gets bigger he can go in with your bigger fish, but lots of caves, logs or rocks help alot:)

You are fully stocked. Severum require a 55 to themselves. I doubt your sev is stunted just by someone messing with the tank, it should be fine. It is probably just growing slowly. Stunting comes from a long duration of poor quality of living.

You are fully stocked. Severum require a 55 to themselves. I doubt your sev is stunted just by someone messing with the tank, it should be fine. It is probably just growing slowly. Stunting comes from a long duration of poor quality of living.

Workers were moving the aquarium when I wasn't home due to renovations. To move it they took out 60% of the water and then added freezing water back in!! The temp went from 80 to 45 in 2 minutes. A family member in the house was able to take all the fish out and put them in a pot. All of then were belly up. I had 4 casualties, no one knew what was going on for 30 minutes
Till I got home and fixed it. The Severum hasn't grown in months now. I've been keeping track.

Try more hiding places, it help ruduce agression, and get a small parrot, and keep him on a high protein diet, it helps them grow faster, so maybe if he gets bigger he can go in with your bigger fish, but lots of caves, logs or rocks help alot:)

Ok thanks :)

Workers were moving the aquarium when I wasn't home due to renovations. To move it they took out 60% of the water and then added freezing water back in!! The temp went from 80 to 45 in 2 minutes. A family member in the house was able to take all the fish out and put them in a pot. All of then were belly up. I had 4 casualties, no one knew what was going on for 30 minutes
Till I got home and fixed it. The Severum hasn't grown in months now. I've been keeping track.

Sorry that happened to you. I would be extremely pissed! I don't think that will stunt its growth probably just at a slow growing period again. Do multiple water changes a week and you might see him gain some size. I was surprised at what water changes and tank size will do.

I separated two Firemouths for about a month due to aggression they were the same size in a 75 when separated. The I put 1 in a 20 long and just reintroduced last week. The one in the 75 is noticeably larger however when looking at them separately I didn't think either had grown.

Anyways sorry for my rambling, good luck with your severum glad he made and hope he starts growing again.

Sorry that happened to you. I would be extremely pissed! I don't think that will stunt its growth probably just at a slow growing period again. Do multiple water changes a week and you might see him gain some size. I was surprised at what water changes and tank size will do.

I separated two Firemouths for about a month due to aggression they were the same size in a 75 when separated. The I put 1 in a 20 long and just reintroduced last week. The one in the 75 is noticeably larger however when looking at them separately I didn't think either had grown.

Anyways sorry for my rambling, good luck with your severum glad he made and hope he starts growing again.

Ok will do. Thanks. It's really hard for me to do water changes because the tank is so tall. Anyway let's say I move the Severum if he gets to big. What other options would you suggest?
P

If you move the severum a Firemouth would do well with the parrot. They are my personal favorite.

With that huge parrot you need something that wont get eaten but wont get to big. Some dwarf cichlids might do well Bolivian rams or Kribensis.

If you don't want cichlids you might be able to do some skirt tetras or a school of barbs like tiger or black ruby. Raphael catfish or school of corry cats.

To help with water changes if you get a python (vacuum) that runs to your sink height wont mater.

If you move the severum a Firemouth would do well with the parrot. They are my personal favorite.

With that huge parrot you need something that wont get eaten but wont get to big. Some dwarf cichlids might do well Bolivian rams or Kribensis.

If you don't want cichlids you might be able to do some skirt tetras or a school of barbs like tiger or black ruby. Raphael catfish or school of corry cats.

To help with water changes if you get a python (vacuum) that runs to your sink height wont mater.

I have a python. Still pretty tuff. And about the knobs or rams, they need a neutral ph and mine is 7.5. Will that be okay?

I have a python. Still pretty tuff. And about the knobs or rams, they need a neutral ph and mine is 7.5. Will that be okay?

I would actually stay away from the kribs and rams if you cant do regular water changes they are pretty sensitive to water perimeters.

What do you think of the tiger barbs or black ruby barbs? They are hardy fish and very pretty IMO.

I would actually stay away from the kribs and rams if you cant do regular water changes they are pretty sensitive to water perimeters.

What do you think of the tiger barbs or black ruby barbs? They are hardy fish and very pretty IMO.

Water changes is not a problem. I also have a filter that cycles 115 gph. So water quality is always. Pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom