Wanting to start a new malawi tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattefect

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello I am wanting to start a Malawi tank but wanted to know some specifications. Like : tank size : ph and other things wanted to get about 5-10 malawis small size thanks

Tank size is the most important detail followed by fish selection, these are aggressive fish capable of killing so proper research and male/female ratios are crucial. What size are you working with? A 4ft tank is the minimum for any Malawi mbuna or peacock, a 55g is minimum but a 75g being better since its the identical footprint. People always try smaller tanks but with territory and aggression issues long term success is rarely achieved. There are plenty of dwarf mbuna out there like Saulosi or Afra Cobue are my two favorites, but most will hit the 4-6" range. PH is overrated and the most important thing is stability, there are things you can buffer the PH like crushed coral, limestone, specific substrates, or Cichlid salts. Since 99% of these fish are not wild caught and they are being breed in your local waters it really doesn't matter. Temperature ranges from 76-78 for adult fish, lowering temps slows down metabolism resulting in longer fish lives and lower aggression.

Last edited:
Well if you want small size from Malawi you're probably talking about mbuna's. There are many different species and each one has their quirks so what I would do is pick a species that you really like and build the rest of the tank around them. 55 gallon is usually the smallest for mbuna's. They prefer harder water with a high pH (7.5-8+) and a temp around 80 degrees, but like most fish they can usually adapt to whatever your tap water parameters are. You just need to make sure whatever your parameters are that they stay stable.

I have a question. Is sea salt mix okay for african cichlids? To make it brackish

Back
Top Bottom