Wart on Oscar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

covergerl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Oscar must have scraped his "chin" on something a while back, because I noticed he had what appeared to be a small scrape in that area.

Well, now he has a white, growth on that spot. It looks like a wart.

Is that normal? What is it? I can post a pic if needed.

Thanks!

A pic would be awesome! Are you sure that it is in the same spot as the scrape? It could be that it had gotten infected and the resulting white growth occured, which is very possible.. So, post a pic, and I'm sure somebody will get back to you!

Okay, sorry I have not posted a pic, I need new batteries for my camera.

I am certain there was a scrape there.

We used to have him and two parrots in a 30 gallon tank that they outgrew, so the Oscar was constantly thrashing and knocking stuff down all the time, which is how I think he ended up getting the scrape.

We put all of them into a 65 gallon tank about a month ago. That was when the thing started getting bigger and looking wart like in appearance.

Now, it is pinkish/red and it looks like it is also growing inside his mouth and making his bottom lip v-shaped.

What should I do? Should I treat the whole tank?

Please help this is our favorite fish!

I still need help!!

This is the pic of the fish:
oscar2004.JPG

As you can see he has gotten worse.

I have not treated him because we had to go out of town for more than several days and couldn't rely on anyone to medicate him w/o the taking the risk of losing him.

The growth is visble from inside his mouth too.

Please help us! What should I do?

I am not familiar with treating that. Your best bet is to PM Allivymar and ask what she thinks.

Hiya covergerl:

I'll answer in here in case this helps anyone else with the same issues. First things first; whats the water parameters? What have you done so far to treat it?

I've a couple of thoughts, but am gonna need more info:

There's a chance its a simple bacterial infection; a round of broad spectrum antibiotics (like Kanacyn) should help clear things up if thats the problem. I tend to think this is the most likely answer - some sort of ulcer caused by a bacterial infection.

I wonder if it might be lymphocystis. Its a viral infection (like warts); also called cauliflower disease. Kinda looks like a cauliflower (your description of the initial problem kinda reminded me of that): white and lumpy. Its possible it is lymphocystis and he tore up one of the nodules. There is no cure, but keeping the water pristine helps keep it to a minimum usually.

My last suspect it Hole in the Head disease (Hexamita). Oscars are prone to it,and it causes ulcers, although most cases I've seen pics of, the holes/ulcers were more near the top of the head and the lateral line. Metronidazole is the drug of choice in that case.

Back
Top Bottom