water change question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If they look like there isn't enough air then throw a bubbler in for a little till everything is good again
If there's an ammonia issue than a bubbler will do nothing to help. The fishes gills are basically burning....Also if it's Stress Zyme you meant, this contains NO b.bacteria...Live Bacteria has to be stored in a fridge and has a very short shelf life....

Here is the math on water changes you might not know...

Say your tank is cycled and now your Nitrates have built up with tiny water changes...

Levels of over .40 ppm is toxic fish, especially if your ph is above 7.

Say your level is now .80 ppm (probably highter). You do a 12 gal water change...your level is now .70 and still toxic...if you do a 50%, you level would have been .4, just above really toxic.

If you do a 12 gal, that is only taking out 13% of your toxins

If there's an ammonia issue than a bubbler will do nothing to help. The fishes gills are basically burning....Also if it's Stress Zyme you meant, this contains NO b.bacteria...Live Bacteria has to be stored in a fridge and has a very short shelf life....
People think it's bacteria. IMO, i think it's a product to boost and protect the bacteria formation by directly supplying it the ammonia.

I agree with you Fish, personally i don't add anything to my tank except Prime..I think all these products are just a gimmick...A proper cycle is the only way to go

I agree u need to do a bigger water change. I have a 55 gallon and my nitrate and nitrites spiked up so I did a 40 gallon water change than a couple days later a 25 gallon water change and a week later all my levels are perfect. I know it sounds like alot of work. At first I tried to use chemicals to help but nothing really worked so I had to make time and do a big water change. Now everything is good and my fish are happy

Listening in here&dont believe the tank is cycled...otherwise there'd be no ammo&no nitrites&your problem would be high nitrates....your tank is gonna require daily wc's to keep levels safe for fish...i'd suggest buying an API freshwater master test kit&test your levels daily keeping ammo&nitrites below .25 ppm&nitrates at 5-10ppm to maintain your stocks safety...anything at or above .25ppm(ammo or nitrites)is extremely toxic to your stock&can cause irreversible damage to them shortening their life...think of it like like this,your gasping for air but everytime you get a breath your throat burns incredibly bad...that's what its like for the fish with prolonged exposure to toxic levels of ammo&nitrites....beneficial bacteria is a must to keeping a healthy aquarium&it will take some time to get your tank established...google "fish-in cycling"&read all available info on this topic...patience patience patience is what it is gonna take to complete your cycle...also agree with others on the ammo lock,do not use it! You're gonna have to have an ammo source for your bb to feed on continuing the the cycle...

Back
Top Bottom