Water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

13stingeln

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm about to do my first water change tomorrow for the first week of having my tank. Any suggestions on how to go about it? So I make sure I do everything correctly! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just take it slow and easy. Being your first time the odds are good that you will spill some water. I always lay down a large towel when I siphon water out and into the tank to soak up spills. Im also wary and careful not to get any of my neons in the siphon suction area!

For the replacement water from the tap I put it in a bucket the day before and let it sit until the next day. Then if the bucket water temp is a lot colder than the tank temp I temperature match the new water with the tank water by mixing in hot water in with the new water and giving it a good mix, continuously checking with thermometer. Put in any liquid fert for your plants (if you use liquid fert) into the new water too and mix well.

Lastly after all this I add Prime water conditioner into the new water mix it well and let it sit for 10mins. Then I siphon it into the tank.

Pretty easy.

Not that difficult and nothing to worry about. The biggest mistakes made is not paying attention to temp and pouring directly onto a fish and shocking it. I am guilty of doing this when I was in a hurry. 75 degree water feel cool when you are in a 80 degree house.

The other suggestion is use Prime it is relatively cheap and a whole bottle will last a year. sold at most LFS.

Do your filter first then run it then complete the water change otherwise you will have a nice clean tank and a dirty filter will blow crude all over your tank.

Oh 1 more every aquarium owner I think does this once. Don't forget to unplug the heater it will break if to much comes out of the water. Let it sit half an hour before plugging it back in. Write a note or something to remind you to plug it back it. I don't know how many times afterall my hard work I sit to enjoy my fish then get doing something else and the next day realize the heater isn't plugged in.

Seriously, just keep in mind you match the temperature, I go by touch and don't forget to de-chlorinate

Okay thanks guys I really appreciate all the advice!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would also recommend not using Ammonia or any other household chemicals. Also, hydrochloric acid is not good for the fish.

I don't know how many times afterall my hard work I sit to enjoy my fish then get doing something else and the next day realize the heater isn't plugged in.
LOL - I do that with filters. Come back next day and ooops! I have some on a timer just in case I forget.
Yep, this is why my tanks are setup so the filters and heaters don't need to be shutoff during weekly maintenance. Otherwise I would forget.

Seriously, just keep in mind you match the temperature, I go by touch and don't forget to de-chlorinate
This is pretty much all there is to it.

Also, one more thing is get a python if you don't already have one. Makes the water changing process a lot easier. Just to be clear I mean this kind, not this kind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom