Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Water changes - Poll

Okay, so I got this pleco about two weeks ago, and he has been the laziest! Then, all of a sudden, I almost cooked my Convict, had creepy water conditions, and stressed the heck out of the pleco when I drained the tank to the top of his back...

...then yesterday he swam all over the tank and sucked on every green leaf he could find, and pulled the fake grass I had poked through a little hole on a rock and seems like a new fish.

Two things happened: I killed my sister's JD and joined this forum.

So I'm thinking I MUST have a guardian angel--but more likely, I removed most of his food source when I drained the tank. Something I need to learn more about--PROPER WATER CHANGES. Anyone have a tried (have done this for at least a year with good results) and true (your fish are healthier and happier for it) method they would like to share?

Old 08-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #2

I do 50% once a week on all my tanks. Currently I have a sick ebjd but all other fish are happy and healthy as far as I can tell.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can really turn it into a science. Take a nitrate reading daily for a week and see how your tank trends over that span (you have to keep a strict feeding schedule for this to work) how ever high you are at the end of the week will determine amount and frequency you need to do water changes. Every tank and its Bioload is unique so what works for one person won't work for another. With that being said the best thing you can do is learn your tank and its trends to appropriately maintain it.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Helps to know the stock and size of your tank before we can give a good regimen on water changes. Current water parameters would help. Ie- ammonia, nitrate, nitrite.

Is the tank planted?

Also what kind of dechlorinator/stress coat solution are you using.

Water changes are pretty basic and shouldnt be anything to fear of doing wrong. So once we know a little more about your tank we can give better advise.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlnTigger
Okay, so I got this pleco about two weeks ago, and he has been the laziest! Then, all of a sudden, I almost cooked my Convict, had creepy water conditions, and stressed the heck out of the pleco when I drained the tank to the top of his back...

...then yesterday he swam all over the tank and sucked on every green leaf he could find, and pulled the fake grass I had poked through a little hole on a rock and seems like a new fish.

Two things happened: I killed my sister's JD and joined this forum.

So I'm thinking I MUST have a guardian angel--but more likely, I removed most of his food source when I drained the tank. Something I need to learn more about--PROPER WATER CHANGES. Anyone have a tried (have done this for at least a year with good results) and true (your fish are healthier and happier for it) method they would like to share?
Oh the adventures of fish keeping! not sure what you're looking for all I do is drain 50% of the water, do a good vac while draining, add my Prime & then refill my 46g & I do this weekly. My 10g tanks I do by bucket & again just do 50%. I have 2 Chinese algae eaters, 4 mystery snails all seem happy & healthy; I feed them veggies & algae wafers which they love. My other fish are Bettas who are also happy & healthy. I haven't quite been doing this a year but close.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:47 PM   #6
5x5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

I'm part of the 50% weekly camp. It's well more than needed for my bioload readings, but clean water never hurts.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...d+society.html
5x5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:02 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x5
I'm part of the 50% weekly camp. It's well more than needed for my bioload readings, but clean water never hurts.
It really is the way to go, I can't remember the last time I did LESS then 50%. Long as your somewhat matching temps and adding dechlorinator you will be fine. Oh, and vacuuming the substrate.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:34 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I personally think it's ridiculous to change 50% of the water every week. Heck, even 25% for that matter. I don't fool with all the chemicals and junk either. I top off my tanks once or twice each week as needed. I haven't lost a fish yet, and I did the fish-in cycling.
When I got my first tank earlier this year, I did weekly water changes because that's all you hear about is water changes, water changes and my water stayed messed up. I finally decided to leave the tank alone and let the filter and BB do their job. Not a single problem.
My fish eat well and are highly active and show no signs of stress. I'm not convinced water changes are necessary. Sorry.
I can already imagine the comments below when my post is read lol, and I just know somebody is going to mention I must have been doing something wrong for my water to be messed up. I haven't done a water change in months, and everything's been much better for me.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:52 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I do water changes 50% every saturday, light feedings every day and as advised by hukit, no feeding on sundays to let digestive track kick in. Bloodworms once every 2 weeks as a treat.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:52 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd love to hear what you parameters are. You do understand their poop/food waste turn to ammonia. Water changers are ABSOLUTLY necessary. To even suggest they are not is irresponsible on your part, seeing how this is a advice forum.

Tags
water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com