Water chemistry off?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjcatlin

Aquarium Advice Regular
Guys,

The other day I had to shut a breaker off to do some electrical work. The breaker I turned off just happen to go to my aquarium outlet. After I restored power everything came back on. My air pump was running, but not supplying air. I don't have check valves on the air lines because my air pump is maxed out for the tank size (60 gal), and it won't supply a lot of air if I put them on.

At least a day or so later I noticed I had some pretty sick fish on my hands. My parrot went from bright pink to almost white. And my africans were all gasping.

My question to the forum is:
Could something in my water chemistry be off that would make this happen? Or is having air being put into the tank that important.

Regards,

rjcatlin

Sounds like a lack of oxygen in the tank if they're gasping like that.

Hmmmmm... I've got to agree with Lansing - if fish are GASPING - you got air issues!

Broken pump - AGITATE the **** out of the surface by running a power head hanging off the side of the top rim and stick a piece of tubing into the air intake hole - on HAGEN powerheads anyway.

This should give you an immediate violent thrashing of the water surface thereby performing the gaseous OXYGEN/CO2 exchange your fish desperately need. RUN this noisy (if you can use the AIRLINE feature) for the next 3 days. (BUY an EXTRA pump for future emergencies)

As always plz post again and let us know your fish friends are doing!!

How are ya doing?

How long was it off. Do you have surface agitation. What is your water chemistry.

The power was only off for a couple of hours, but the air pump wasn't producing bubbles for a couple of days. I have a larger air pump on the way, one for up to 100 gallons.

As for surface agitation, I have a Fluval 304 canister filter it has a pretty powerful output.

The only test kit I have for the water is pH.

Make sure it is breaking the water surface on top so that the gases can escape.
GET YOURSELF A API MASTER TEST KIT.

YOU MUST KNOW WHAT YOUR AMMONIA, NITRITE AND NITRATE LEVELS ARE.
YOU COULD BE POISONING YOUR FISH AND NOT KNOW IT. IT'S A MUST FOR EVERYONE KEEPING FISH, IN MY OPINION.

Guys,

I got the proper testing kits and checked yesterday. pH - 8.0, Ammonia - 0, Nirite - 0, and Nitrate - 0.

Guys,

I got the proper testing kits and checked yesterday. pH - 8.0, Ammonia - 0, Nirite - 0, and Nitrate - 0.

In a cycled aquarium the nitrate levels should not be 0, I would double check the basics again including water test and temperature.

I retested and I shook the vial pretty well. I still got a nirate reading 0 ppm. I've done a little bit of reading about it, and I have yet to read that a nitrate reading of 0 ppm is bad. For the most part I have just seen that the test should read under 40 ppm.

I retested and I shook the vial pretty well. I still got a nirate reading 0 ppm. I've done a little bit of reading about it, and I have yet to read that a nitrate reading of 0 ppm is bad. For the most part I have just seen that the test should read under 40 ppm.

Is this a planted tank? Otherwise I don't see how it's possible to have 0 nitrates in a cycled aquarium. I would try another test kit or have a local fish store test is for you. Also how old are the test kits because they do have a expiration date?

Upon further review, I was not doing the test correctly. I was supposed to shake bottle #2 of the test solution for 30 seconds and the vial for 1 minute. I will be doing a partial water change and filter rinse today. Thank you all for your help.

Back
Top Bottom