Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #1

water circulation/salt in freshwater African tank

?How much circulation if any should I have in my African Malawi Community tank,also when purchased my C's were in a freshwater tank with no cichlid salt added should have when setting up for them have added the salt?

Old 09-23-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

As little or as much as you want... as long as it's not blowing the fish around. I put a powerhead in my 150g mbuna tank for a while, but my two canisters were plenty of flow, so I took it back out. And, there's really no need IMO to put cichlid salt in the tank. Some people want to so it buffers up the water and adds the minerals to make it very malawi-like... but I just put prime in my water. These fish aren't wild caught fish, they're bred in farms just like 90% of the other fish we keep. Unless you get wild caught of course.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #3

By prime you mean "water conditioner"?
Old 09-23-2011, 05:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

yep... that's most economical way to go IMO

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Usually 12-16 time the volume of the aqaurium compare to 27-33 in saltwater!!

Use power head as they do not lose their power because of dirt!

Like tunze or any competitor to that type of powerhead!

I run my malawi on 18 X the volume of the aquarium!!

The most economical way is nutrafin chlor exchange and chlor guard from seachem!

Good night!
Old 09-23-2011, 05:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
As little or as much as you want... as long as it's not blowing the fish around. I put a powerhead in my 150g mbuna tank for a while, but my two canisters were plenty of flow, so I took it back out. And, there's really no need IMO to put cichlid salt in the tank. Some people want to so it buffers up the water and adds the minerals to make it very malawi-like... but I just put prime in my water. These fish aren't wild caught fish, they're bred in farms just like 90% of the other fish we keep. Unless you get wild caught of course.
A fish has a more natural comportement and a better coloration in what his genetics needs!!!

They adapt but its always better for them when they dont have to adapt!!

Their tough but more beautiful and colorful
In their natural condition, kh 100 and up, gh 120-180.

In my opinion!

Tags
african, circulation, freshwater, salt, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com