water condition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankBoss

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Do all aquariums have visible particles floating in them or should the water be crystal clear.

TankBoss said:
Do all aquariums have visible particles floating in them or should the water be crystal clear.

The water does not need to be crystal clear. It is common to find small particles floating in the water column. Although if you want crystal clear water it can be obtained. It is just a matter of how much effort you want to put into maintaining water clarity.

I don't mind maintaining my filter or doing water changes. Is frequent vacuuming and water changes going to do the trick or will I need more filtration?

You will most likely need more filtration, although frequent water changes does help. You could also try adding filter floss to one of your filters, or even have one filter used solely for polishing your water. This would mean removing any bio or chemical filtration media from that filter and packing it full of mechanical filtration.

TankBoss said:
I don't mind maintaining my filter or doing water changes. Is frequent vacuuming and water changes going to do the trick or will I need more filtration?

How big is your tank? What filters do you have?

hal.lc said:
You will most likely need more filtration, although frequent water changes does help. You could also try adding filter floss to one of your filters, or even have one filter used solely for polishing your water. This would mean removing any bio or chemical filtration media from that filter and packing it full of mechanical filtration.

I see. I have a canister filter right now with 2 filter floss trays in it. Would those just need to be changed more often? Also, the particles don't really bother me... the tank looks great. I just don't want to be doing a shabby job. Ya know?

If you don't mind the particles then I wouldn't bother putting a lot of effort towards getting crystal clear water. It's entirely up to you because your the one who is going to be enjoying the tank.

I personally don't bother with it because it doesn't bother me.

Changing your filter floss more often will help some as well.

Thanks a lot for the help! The particles are minimal I was most concerned with any neg effect they would have on my fish. Fish seem healthy and happy too so its not something I'll worry about.

Back
Top Bottom