Water film

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deez Fish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Tank is a week new. Have 7 African cichlids that have been living happily for the last 6 days. There is this film at the top of the water that is unsightly. Anyone know what it is or how to get rid of it? Sidenote: I don't have and aerator going and don't very much want one.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395444425.443268.jpg]ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395444441.944026.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395444425.443268.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395444425.443268.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 69
Just need better top flow I had same prob in my breeder tank but only had sponge filters... increased aeration n water flow up top now gone

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you don't have any or enough water flow through the water column, oils from pellets and fish waste can easily rise to the surface before they get taken in my the filter.

This happened to me so I aimed my filter output nozzle more towards the surface and it cleared up within a couple of days.

To remove it you can still the surface of the water and lightly lay a paper towel on the top to absorb the oils in to it.

But it will just come back with sufficient flow or surface agitation.

The oil may also be making gas exchange at the surface more difficult.

Back
Top Bottom