Water Parameter Advice for Rift Lake Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Labenator65000

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 55 with labs, peacocks, a Hap and a Johannii. 10 fish in total, all sub-adult, so only about 25" of fish in total. Below are my parameters:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrates: 50
Nitrites: 0
Hardness: 300
Chlorine: 0
Alkalinity: 150
pH: 7.4

I have a couple of questions: My Nitrates seem a bit high, which tells me that it is cycled properly, but I need to do PWC more frequently. Shoot I do a 45-50% PWC and a thorough deep gravel vacuuming weekly. My tank does not seem to be overcrowded. Am I feeding them too much? I give them a pinch or two of NLS once daily. They have it finished within about 30 seconds.

What about my other parameters? Do I need to be concerned about the low pH? How is my hardness looking?

Everything looks good to me..I try to keep my nitrates around 20. You may need to do a 50% pwc every 4 days...Whats your filtration like?...Also your stock list suggests aggression problems once spawning and maturity starts.

Jmedic25 said:
Everything looks good to me..I try to keep my nitrates around 20. You may need to do a 50% pwc every 4 days...Whats your filtration like?...Also your stock list suggests aggression problems once spawning and maturity starts.

Thanks for the feedback.

I just have an OTB sized for a 60 gallon (it came in a kit with the tank), but since it's only high on Nitrates (and Nitrates are at the end of the Nitrogen Cycle), isn't the filtration sufficient?

Regarding aggression: you mean the Hap and the Johannii, right? Yeah, the Hap was mislabeled as an Acei and I purchased it about 5 months ago. It's about 4" and has really colored up lately. So far it's the biggest chicken in the tank. I might have just gotten lucky there. So far as the Johannii, yes, I was on the receiving end of some bad LFS advice. It's on probation. So far it has not caused any injuries, but it does chase the others somewhat (not overly). It will be out of there if it causes problems.

Yes your correct that the nitrates being higher is not from the filter. In fact if your Ammo is 0 then your stable. The only rule your breaking is the turns of water per hour. Since full grown Cichlids can be messy you may have issue when the grow up. You could easily (and cheaply) add a DIY sump to your tank. I can post a video for you of one I like. As for lowering the nitrates in an African tank the answer is water changes. If you add a sump you will increase your water gallonage so that may help a little. Check out this thread. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/good-inexpensive-second-filter-184953.html

Jmedic25 said:
Yes your correct that the nitrates being higher is not from the filter. In fact if your Ammo is 0 then your stable. The only rule your breaking is the turns of water per hour. Since full grown Cichlids can be messy you may have issue when the grow up. You could easily (and cheaply) add a DIY sump to your tank. I can post a video for you of one I like. As for lowering the nitrates in an African tank the answer is water changes. If you add a sump you will increase your water gallonage so that may help a little. Check out this thread. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/good-inexpensive-second-filter-184953.html

I've seen that video before. Pretty slick. Thanks for the tip!

Labenator65000 said:
Is total tank water movement? I have an OTB rated at 300 GPH already.

The recommend gallons per hour is to turn over the entire volume of your tank 10-12 times per hour. So you want 550-660 Total GPH of filtration on your tank.

Mogurako said:
The recommend gallons per hour is to turn over the entire volume of your tank 10-12 times per hour. So you want 550-660 Total GPH of filtration on your tank.

Ok, thanks for the info.

Jmedic25 said:

How would one figure out how to keep the pump from running at a faster rate than the intake of water into the sump, and then running the pump dry?

You would set the flow with the diameter of your overflow setup. I think 2.5 inches is the one for you...Check the other video I posted in the thread on the DIY overflow

Jmedic25 said:
You would set the flow with the diameter of your overflow setup. I think 2.5 inches is the one for you...Check the other video I posted in the thread on the DIY overflow

Seems like sort of a gamble. I would think you would need to be very precise to make it work out such that the sump does not overflow or that the pump does not run dry. Understand I'm not arguing; I am interested in doing it. I'm just trying to fully understand the mechanics of it before I invest in it. I appreciate the advice.

No its really simple. If you make the overflow you wont run into any problems as long as the pipe is large enough. The overflow/skimmer box sits at the top water level. That is it just takes the water off of the top as the level rises from the pump running. Youtube it you will understand it better when you see it.

Jmedic25 said:
No its really simple. If you make the overflow you wont run into any problems as long as the pipe is large enough. The overflow/skimmer box sits at the top water level. That is it just takes the water off of the top as the level rises from the pump running. Youtube it you will understand it better when you see it.

Ok It clicked. The pump determines the rate of flow, not gravity. Thanks again.

As posted earlier, AQ110 is another good option for only $50.

I've never sump'd a FW tank, but my small SW tank has a sump and oh man is it nice not having to do the filter maintenance :)

Ok It clicked. The pump determines the rate of flow, not gravity. Thanks again.

Bingo! Sumps are also a great place to put heaters, liverock, plants, beat up fish, fry,...ect...Sumps are much more customizable than any HOB. They offer way more bacterial filtration. They also allow you to have more water than your tank can hold. I have a 15 gallon sump my total water is approx 90 gallons in a 75gal.

I'm in the process of turning a 29 gallon into a sump. I'm excited to finish it but I'm having a hard time deciding on an overflow. I personally don't like the look of PVC running up and down the tank.

Malawi Freak said:
I'm in the process of turning a 29 gallon into a sump. I'm excited to finish it but I'm having a hard time deciding on an overflow. I personally don't like the look of PVC running up and down the tank.

Yeah that's my reason for hesitation as well. It would be nice to find transparent, or even black PCV.

Back
Top Bottom