Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-01-2014, 01:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hi I have african cichlids here are my Aquarium parameters: GH 60 ppm, KH 40 ppm, pH 7.5, NO2 0 ppm, NO3 40 ppm
Is this ok? If not how can I make it better. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to make my fish feel at home. Thanks

Sorry GH 120, KH 80

I heard 40 ppm nitrates is really high should I do an immediate water change?

Old 04-01-2014, 04:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

I'd try to double the KH and GH, get pH to 8 and get NO3 to 10-15ppm. 40ppm is high, but I wouldn't consider it "really" high, if it were me I'd do a PWC until you're at 20ppm or lower (of course the lower the better).

(Vid Coming Soon)
SonicsDC25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Did PWC NO3 down to 20 ppm. Don't know how to get the GH and KH up. I got no crushed coral or anything
Old 04-01-2014, 06:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Didn't you mention in a previous post of having crushed coral? Either way, you can use baking soda and epsom salt to get the KH/GH up.
(Vid Coming Soon)
SonicsDC25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have crushed sea shells in a mesh bag in my filter doesn't seem to be doing much, been there a couple weeks. I might try the baking soda Epsom salt thing. Just don't want to over do it. I'm good with recipes and mixtures. I don't really want to lose fish to learn what not to do. I only have 5 in 1 test strips right now, I know there not right accurate. I'm hoping to score a master test kit in a package deal I'm getting tomorrow. Getting 5 new tanks and everything that goes with them, all top of the line and a ton of gear. The biggest tank is a 60 gallon. I'm so exited, I feel like a kid at Christmas. Getting it all for a steal of a deal $200. My buddy wants out and he's selling my everything. And now the saga begins.

Tags
ate, meters, parameters, ram, water, water parameters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com