Water polisher?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Personally i'd ditch the hob's and purchase a quality canister filter...gives you many more options on filter media&much more surface area..

I have a fluval 405 I was given and it will not work. I will keep working on it

What kind of issues are you having with the 405?

It had been unused for years and my dad gave it to me. I cleaned it all (except the impeller) filled w all media and plugged in and primed it and nothing! Tried four times. It filled w water when priming but never sucked anything in when I plugged it in. I swear I heard the motor on the top part running. Does it matter if I have the output or input submerged when I do so? I swear I tried both ways.

It had been unused for years and my dad gave it to me. I cleaned it all (except the impeller) filled w all media and plugged in and primed it and nothing! Tried four times. It filled w water when priming but never sucked anything in when I plugged it in. I swear I heard the motor on the top part running. Does it matter if I have the output or input submerged when I do so? I swear I tried both ways.

I'd take another look at the impeller. Algae, sand, gravel, dirt, and calcification can build up and stop it from turning. I don't own a Fluval canister but I believe, as with most impellers, you can remove the impeller, clean it and the magnet off and make sure it spins along its axle. Also, clean the impeller housing with a toothbrush, cotton swab or whatever you can fit into the "hole". No need to run it with media yet. Keep the input submerged. If you do get it running, check for leaks in the lid and tubing/connectors. Good luck.

I'd take another look at the impeller. Algae, sand, gravel, dirt, and calcification can build up and stop it from turning. I don't own a Fluval canister but I believe, as with most impellers, you can remove the impeller, clean it and the magnet off and make sure it spins along its axle. Also, clean the impeller housing with a toothbrush, cotton swab or whatever you can fit into the "hole". No need to run it with media yet. Keep the input submerged. If you do get it running, check for leaks in the lid and tubing/connectors. Good luck.

Yes, you can pull the impeller out. It's good to do it when ever you perform a major clean out of the filter.

Back
Top Bottom