Wave Makers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After about 7 years of aquarium ownership, with a few disasters, I understand that water circulation is even more important than manual filtration. Keeping that water agitated at the surface (choppy) or making waves is how the air gets into the water. An HOB filter with the water falling a bit (maybe an inch, can also create chop). Wavemakers are the best way to see that the air is circulated, and in real streams and rivers, there is always some form of water movement. If there is not, the fish are either dead or have gone to another part of the stream where there is choppy water. There should always be surface agitation, night or day. You should never turn the wavemakers off (night or day) unless you have another way to get the air into the water.

After about 7 years of aquarium ownership, with a few disasters, I understand that water circulation is even more important than manual filtration. Keeping that water agitated at the surface (choppy) or making waves is how the air gets into the water. An HOB filter with the water falling a bit (maybe an inch, can also create chop). Wavemakers are the best way to see that the air is circulated, and in real streams and rivers, there is always some form of water movement. If there is not, the fish are either dead or have gone to another part of the stream where there is choppy water. There should always be surface agitation, night or day. You should never turn the wavemakers off (night or day) unless you have another way to get the air into the water.

Excellent advice. I would that airstones or other air driven equipment such as undergravel filters and sponge filters are great for oxygenating and moving around dissolved oxygen. I found wavemakers to ‘violent’ for my small tanks but I agree Oxygen is the most fundamental parameter any aquarium owner should prioritise.

I found timers to very helpful with a small tank with waver makers. To keep from over stressing the aquatic population I would run the wave make a few hours per day in addition to using air stones.

Back
Top Bottom