(Wee Rant) - "cichlids"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IvanMike

Aquarium Advice Freak
This probably comes from my years as a moderator on another website (TalkBass.com - Bass Guitar and Double Bass Forums: Basses, Amps, Strings, Effects).

When posting, do us all a favor - don't ask questions about "your cichlid". Cichlidae is an enormous family - be specific.

It's a little better when folk define them as "neotropical" or "African", but just barely. South American and Central American Cichlids have some different requirements, and Africa is home not only to Mbuna etc from Lake Malawi and Tanganyika, (as well as the lucky L. Victoria ones not eaten by the nile perch, and a few L Kivu haps), but Kribs and Tilapia - which are completely different fish with very different requirements.

Even defining a fish as a "Malawi" or "Central" just barely cuts it - there are a lot of different Genera and Species.

(Bet some of you thought cichlids were just those pretty fish from Africa - don't feel bad, at least you didn't pronounce the word like the square hard shelled gum....):D

But in all seriousness - it would help a lot if you were specific about what kinda fish you have or are considering.

PS - The Cichlid Aquarium by Dr. Paul V. Loiselle makes great reading and covers 90% of the questions asked here.

A'ight, Rant off....:flowers:

TOTALLY agree... To many vague posts... Or ppl who don't realize there us more than one type of cichlid :) should be a form.... Fish type, lake, tank size, set up time, tank mates, food... :) and a reminder..... GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND.... great for researching and learning.... OP if I could give u likes or whatever that is from my fon app i would...

IvanMike said:
I still say they're pronounced Chicklet (tm)

Chiclet ( tm) .... And come in many flavors.... But watch what flavors u mix they do NOT all blend together! Just bc they are in the same box ( tank) at the store doesnt mean anything! Lol

This is a forum for everyone from beginners to experienced aquarist asking questions, looking for advice, and identifying fish so what your asking is completely seems naive utterly unlikely. I could type out near 500 Latin names without going and coping and pasting from google(how many can do that) but that comes with years of experience, which most folks don't have. So asking from people who barely research what fish to buy to ask specific questions all the way down to genus is downright silly and don't you think if they knew that information that there probably wouldn't need to ask the question to begin with? If you don't want to take the time to help them move on to the next one. There are loads of other forums that more experienced hobbyist that specialize in cichlids visit(including myself) and this isn't one of them, so I'd encourage you if that's what your looking for to visit some of those. Why not ask for them to post the cure for for cancer prior to their questions too, seems just as likely.

Last edited:
I appreciate this post a lot. I am strongly considering turning my new 125 into a pretty fish from Africa tank and have begun the Google gamut. I don't understand why people take the time to ask questions on a forum, but don't seem to be able to operate google search before they ask a question that could have been aswered with a simple search. Thanks for all the good advice!

I agree with both Ivan and Hukit. Yes for all stages of fish keeping. I think color and pix etc should at least be given if no name is avail. And tank etc. Heck im no expert but I got a few fish dropped off here today I'm trying to google to see what they are.... But am going to post pix to help name. ppl are here for help... Agree... And personal experience and help etc.... But also when ppl know what they have.... Know b4 u add more. I know this prob doesn't make sense... Been a long nite and finally gave in to my whoop a$$ pain pills... I HATE them....

This is a forum for everyone from beginners to experienced aquarist asking questions, looking for advice, and identifying fish so what your asking is completely seems naive utterly unlikely. I could type out near 500 Latin names without going and coping and pasting from google(how many can do that) but that comes with years of experience, which most folks don't have. So asking from people who barely research what fish to buy to ask specific questions all the way down to genus is downright silly and don't you think if they knew that information that there probably wouldn't need to ask the question to begin with? If you don't want to take the time to help them move on to the next one. There are loads of other forums that more experienced hobbyist that specialize in cichlids visit(including myself) and this isn't one of them, so I'd encourage you if that's what your looking for to visit some of those. Why not ask for them to post the cure for for cancer prior to their questions too, seems just as likely.

I think you're reading too much into my OP.

FWIW, check out your signature....:)

I agree with HUKIT, this forum like he said is a mix of seasoned veterans,newbies and everything in between. With the addition of the app this forum has seen a surge of new members because of the ease of acess. I agree that if someone is posting they should provide all the information relevant to the post so we can better help them. However if you feel it's to vauge or the same old post you are in no way required to answer it. There are plenty of forums that specialize in chiclids if you want to have more in depth conversations. So don't come to this forum that is for everyone and complain that all the posts are to novice for your taste.

I don't think he was trying to be offensive, I mean he said in the title it is a rant. Honestly, it gets a little tiring to see everyday a couple threads titled "is my guppy pregnant?" So, I understand his frustration. But, you can always move on to the next thread. Maybe when someone signs up for membership, there should be a page explaining what should be put in your threads when asking a question? There might be, I don't exactly remember.

It's a little offensive when a new member is basically commenting on the level and quality of people who post here. Being a moderator from a non-aquatic website doesn't impress me on this forum, so if he feels the need to rant you can bet I'll be there with a response. There has been a surge a new members and newby aquarist here lately given comments and you all know I'm the first to correct someone when they're wrong but trying to impress someone with some basic knowledge then commenting on their lack of knowledge is uncalled for to say the least.

Last edited:
Alright, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I know you have helped me in the past, so I'm not trying to get on your bad side. I think it is better for him to put his frustration in a thread titled "rant" than say he went off on some newbie (not saying he would). That's the good thing about this site compared to other forums. Rarely have I seen someone insulting new fish people on their threads asking for advice.

Speaking as one of the new people who new nothing about fishkeeping before going on this forum I can say that I personally was clueless and ignorant. A lot of people, like myself, have bought fish from an lfs without any knowledge of what conditions they require or where they originate from other than what the often-wrong information the lfs staff provide, who from a new fishkeepers perspective seem to know what they are talking about even though they don't. Therefore imo I think it is sometimes unreasonable for people to expect the newbies to know everything about their impulse-bought fish and I personally believe in some cases they should be commended for actually accepting they need help and maybe don't have what the fish need so come here for guidance. On a personal level I didnt know a thing about fishkeeping before I got here and if I hadn't then I would have my fish in plain straight out the tap water like my lfs told me too. Thanks to anyone has helped me in the past and, I'm not speaking for everyone, but I come back on this forum because I know i can trust the advice given without being looked down upon or shouted at for doing something wrong or having to gamble on what google says being right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom