weird angel fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ct67_72

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am new and have had fish the majority of my life. and am just getting back into it. its nice to see a nice comunity here!
anyway, I just got a 29 allglass, and "stole" a friends angel that outgrew the 10 gal tank it was in. the fish is older and has been alone for some time. it diddnt seem to have a problem with any other fish in the tank (3 plattties, and one male betta) but i added a smaller black angel and he seem sto have an issue with him. the larger one is fairly agressive towards the smaller angel but not the other fish. the small angel is about halg dollar maybe and the large one is probably the size of my fist. or palm. anyone have any issues like this? theres plenty of hiding and the small one is pretty quick but Id like to keep them all. thanks. Dan

Welcome to AA! Angels are cichlids and can get quite territorial. It may not be possible to keep the smaller angel with the bigger one. The bigger one may never learn to get along with the smaller one. Glad to have another member join our community here, looking forward to more posts from you.

thanks for the welcome. thats what I was thinking, especially after being alone for so long. I have had them before but not of such different sizes. its just funny it doesnt bother any other fish. I hope I dont have to get rid of it.

Only time will tell, maybe the little will dodge the big one long enough for the big one to mellow. Do you know if the big one is male or female? If this little one doesn't work you could always try again with an angel of the opposite sex and you might get lucky and have them pair up.

Im not sure, how do you tell on an angel fish? and it seems to be much more at feeding time. well see what happens.

You can't sex angelfish unless you see their breeding tubes. Which usually only happens if they are laying eggs. I would get that little angel out of there. Angels need to be introduced at the sametime and the same size. Though you can get away with adding similiar size angels if you get lucky.

Back
Top Bottom