Weird jack dempsy coloring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

All_fish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It just started last night. I have no idea what it is. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408903686.528095.jpg

Usually fish turn dark when stressed.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Turns out two of them were pregnant and there's babies everywhere

White substrate washes out colors

I just started keeping cichlids. Within the first week I noticed my EBJD and Gold Severum were looking pale, I know fish don't get pale, but that's the best description. The colors were fading and looking dull. It only took my firemouth 2 days to bleach out. I heard different opinions but had a general consensus that white substrate will bleach out otherwise bright fish. Black is good, but honestly I have gone through black and now natural river gravel, they look best on the darker natural gravel. On white gravel all of my fish other than the green terror and Senegal bichir washed out. Color came right back when on a darker substrate. I know your problem was solved IE babies, but you might get better colors out of them on a darker substrate

I just started keeping cichlids. Within the first week I noticed my EBJD and Gold Severum were looking pale, I know fish don't get pale, but that's the best description. The colors were fading and looking dull. It only took my firemouth 2 days to bleach out. I heard different opinions but had a general consensus that white substrate will bleach out otherwise bright fish. Black is good, but honestly I have gone through black and now natural river gravel, they look best on the darker natural gravel. On white gravel all of my fish other than the green terror and Senegal bichir washed out. Color came right back when on a darker substrate. I know your problem was solved IE babies, but you might get better colors out of them on a darker substrate

That was the mom. They usually look like this prior to Saturday night. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408932181.333055.jpg

I think so. She's been chasing all the other fish away from where the babies are, along with the dad. They aren't even a year old. I got them from a friend when they became free swimming.

Luckily, I get to set up a temporary 20 gallon grow out for them until I can sell them.

Do the parents need to be in that tank with the fry?

That is the Jack's "spawning dress", they will look like that while there are eggs or fry in the tank.

Do not remove all the fry, leave some with the parents. Move the fry once free swimming to a cycled/mature tank. 10 gallons would be best until they get a little bit larger. That way they are not spending all their energy chasing down food.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom