Weirdest behavior I've seen yet!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
This was strange ( for me anyway )

I'm sitting on the couch watching my tank when all of a sudden all the fish an I mean just about all went to the left side almost in a frenzy like I was feeding them I said to myself here we go! There chomping on someone. But to my surprise NOTHING!! They all together like a team went to the left side and faces the right side. I'm looking around to see what is going on, thinking maybe a other fish spooked them as I'm looking on the right side. They kind of went forward then back they did this 4-5 times it it was strange, they did it all together at the same time in sync!!

I've never seen anything like this not read anything like this. They appeared to become a team to protect something. As soon as it started it stopped! They slowly started swimming normal and took over the tank again. I still don't k ow what was on that right side inside or out that might have caused this but it was AMAZING to watch!! I wish I had taken a video!

It was really something how they seemed to all pull together.

Well that's my story!! Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dino

VioletEmber said:
My first and only idea is an earthquake! But I live in CA, so I would...

Yeah I'm in New York and nothing on the news. It was strange! I have. I explanation. I've been on google but not really having any luck.

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
chances are, there was a fry there and they were all after it!! lol.

Really?!? WOW!! That's kinda cool!! So I might have babies in there? Maybe? It was the coolest thing to watch!! They were all over the tank. Shot to the left if like a formation and faced the right side of the tank. They kind of all went back and forth a few times never too far just short burst forward then back again. Then after maybe a minute everything went back to normal.

Last edited:
Convict2161 said:
Really?!? WOW!! That's kinda cool!! So I might have babies in there? Maybe? It was the coolest thing to watch!! They were all over the tank. Shot to the left if like a formation and faced the right side of the tank. They kind of all went back and forth a few times never too far just short burst forward then back again. Then after maybe a minute everything went back to normal.

You may have had fry, but ptolly not anymore. Lol. Mine did something like this once. I had crushed up cichlid pellet on my finger. Dipped it in the tank to wash it off and they went nuts.

joel618 said:
You may have had fry, but ptolly not anymore. Lol. Mine did something like this once. I had crushed up cichlid pellet on my finger. Dipped it in the tank to wash it off and they went nuts.

That's crazy. I had no idea. It was pretty cool to see though.

My tank loses some dry algea sometimes from my lighting then they all swim over there lol BUT then one fish ate it and the rest are like WTF give us more!

But if you dont see the algae then i was like WOOT GHOST!

Well thats my experience with ghosts in a tank lol

Maybe it was a GHOST!! It was something for sure! And something spooked them and they all teamed up to protect each other! It's insane!! I'm gonna have to research this, this can't be the only time this has happened.

Did you make a graveyard underneath your substrate?

Maybe there rising from the dead!

TheCrazyFishLady said:
haha. What would a fish be protesting?

Maybe they don't wanna see me first thing in morning? Maybe I should do my hair before entering the living room.

Convict2161 said:
Does that happen? It was awesome to watch.

Yes. Cichlids are schooling fish. Usually only the same type will school but occasionally I'll see one of my kenyi jumo in my flameback school (they are always swimming in a school.)

Malawi Freak said:
Yes. Cichlids are schooling fish. Usually only the same type will school but occasionally I'll see one of my kenyi jumo in my flameback school (they are always swimming in a school.)

Interesting... Thanks

Back
Top Bottom