What am I doing wrong? (aka the Poo Diaries)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL! So much controversy over cr@p.
I know vacuuming the sand is the only way to get it out, and I want it out, not camouflaged. I read up on cichlids for months before I started keeping them and I knew they had a heavy bioload...I wasn't surprised when I started seeing it, just disappointed that two good filters can't pick it up when it's two inches away. Eh, what do you do.

I was really hoping someone had a fancy trick for keeping it off the sand in between cleaning. Sounds like that trick is more cleaning.

I've been considering black (or a darker colored) sand for a while. What's held me back is that I like the (more) natural look. Throw in the benefit of not seeing fish poop from the couch and it might be enough to get me moving on it. I can't stand to stare at the same tank for too long, and maybe I'll even be inspired to do the 3D background I keep thinking about.

BTW - I started reading more about piranhas last week. But if I don't appreciate what the cichlids are giving me I'll stick to watchingYouTube videos of everyone else's. 24 feeders a week? WOW!

Hholly said:
Have you thought of using one of those gravel vac thingies that don't remove water but just take out the poo? I saw these at the store, not sure if they're worth it($55). But you would still be stuck doing it several times a week. :-/

I think you're talking about the python type hoses that attach to the sink, right? I've also seen smaller ones that vacuum the substrate but don't suck out the water. I have the python type vacuum and I can't imagine life without it anymore. I've lugged enough buckets in my time Yes, they're totally worth it!

You can also use the python hose...take the large end off of it. Fire up the water and then once the syphon starts turn the sink off. Water will continue to flow. It decreases suction buy a lot. It make is easer but more time consuming to vac the sand. Also the Hob filters dont do a good job of creating horizontal flow. Powerheads do, that will blow the poo into the water column. Then the filters will be able to pic it up. Try thoes tricks.

Rachel0001 said:
Interesting. I've seen a cheaper version of this at my LFS. I like the spot clean idea but I would not use it to extend the time between water changes like it advertises. It seems handy but really expensive for something that looks fairly simple...

I'm pretty sure these things are strictly for cleaning gravel.

i found that if i use the siphon and dig it right through the sand, a lot will get sucked up but the sand stays at the bottom of the bucket when i gently pour the water away. i keep doing a norm pwc and dig into sand, letting it all stay at the bottom of the bucket as it falls. i then rinse the sand in the bucket so it is clean and bowl by bowl reintroduce the sand back in the tank.
it makes the tank unbelievably clear!!

So I switched out stands and decided to change up my tank while I was at it. I pulled all the white sand out- not really because of the crap anymore, I just got bored- and switched over to black beach sand.

I LOVE it! It's more on the brown side, actually, and very natural looking, well because it is natural sand. Lots of colors mixed in...if I try and find poo, I can't. It blends that well, even right before I clean the tank!

Back
Top Bottom