What are your experiences with java moss and African Cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

natpo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am wondering how java moss will do with my mbuna and peacocks. I have a 55g in which I am hoping to add a moderate amount of driftwood/roots to break up the rocky appearance. Primarily, I am hoping to add some color by adding in the brown wood and breaking this up with well established java moss.

What are your experiences with Java Moss?
Do your cichlids create a lot of debri in the water by swimming through it or picking at it for algae?

Thanks for your input.

Hay I'm only new to this forum but am a long time owner of fish. Do you know that by adding wood to your tank it will suck all the salts out of your water. And from my experience cichlids will nibble and pull up java moss. I have tried countless ways to get them to leave it but I am yet to be successful haha. Anubis an java fern are a great substitute if you are wanting some green in there. Apparently they are both very bitter. Hope this helps :)

In my experience if it's green it's gone with my fish. I gave up on trying to add any kind of plants to my mbuna tanks. If you want a planted tank and africans together peacocks are the answer they have better color, less aggression, and they'll leave the plants alone.

Back
Top Bottom