What are your favorite cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The SA eartheaters didn't make anyone's list? They sure do mine. The colors are subtle till the light catches them just right, they are more mellow and laid back. I'm not sure I could get into Africans (well maybe shellies) - but I guess I like more mellow fish.

I have a fuelleborni that is awesome,especially if another fish wonders into his area.Wow the stripes and intense blue color!

Fruitbat said:
Personally I've always like Pike Cichlids....big, nasty, beautiful. I also like the African 'dwarfs' like Nannochromis nudiceps and Pelviachromis of almost any species (like P. pulcher - 'kribis'). Toss in the venerable old Orange Chromide from Asia as well. Cool fish, if you can find them for sale!

i forgot about the orange pike i used too own, great fish swam like a torpedo

Although I can't think of any cichlids I don't like, I would have to say the Tanganyikan shell-dwellers are my favorite. Everything I love about cichlids can be illustrated in a tank full of Neolamprologus multifasciatus. :D

I love my Albino Tiger Oscars - they're aggressive with other fish (I only keep a pleco and a red-tailed shark with them now, and the shark hides a lot)... but they're active, and always love to see me - they definately recognize me as the food source, and follow me as I walk by the tank.

I have varied chiclids in my community tanks these include bolivian rams, angel fish, and firemouths all of which get on fine. However are you looking at african chiclids like the lake malawi if so I think you will find most can be very boisterous.

lots of luck

Back
Top Bottom