What! baby cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marybow

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gallon Afican cichlid tank that I set up in January 2012.
2 Red Zebras
4 Red Zebra OB
2 Yellow Tail Acei
1 Blue Kenyi
2 small peacocks
1 OB Peacock
2 Electric Yellow
2 Golden Algea Eater
1 Blue Lobster
They were all put in a the same time as babies, barely an inch long. To my surprise they have all survived.
Today, while cleaning the tank, I discovered 3 tiny abandoned fry.
I was not expecting that, I was considering donating soem fish due to over crowding. Any advise? I am new at this.

I can't imagine anything on the list that would have breed already if they all started out as 1" babies.

The cichlids will breed ASAP as long as the conditions are excellent. I had 1 1/4in zebra cichlids breed after being a tank for 1month. Sounds crazy but they do it alot.

As for getting rid of them I would just leave them. Mostlikly they will be eaten and if they dont then they will be easier to rehome since you will know what they are.

Me either, which is why I am so perplexed. When I put the 14 cichlids in the new tank I expected to lose a few. But they defied the odds and all of them survived. Oh well, I will just take a wait and see what happens to the fry. I discovered a fourth one. There is no why I could scoop them out, they are too small.

For now, the 4 tiny fry are hanging around the cave with Elvis the blue lobster. No cichlid mommy or daddy has come by to claim them.

Back
Top Bottom