Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-25-2011, 02:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Unhappy What brand of tank is the best?

I am so exasperated! I was supposed to buy a 55 gallon tank this past week but there aren't any vendors within reasonable distance that I can go to purchase one. So I have been looking online for one to order and I am so confused because there are tons of tanks and tons of reviews on the tanks.

I want a tank that will last and won't leak. I don't want some cheapo made pos. I see tank kits online and then I see just the tanks and then you buy everything else. My 10 gal was a kit and it's great. BUT with a 55 gal I know it requires more of everything. I want to order one asap so if you have suggestions or links please assist.

Oh and the tank is for my 3 Cichlids.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:46 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would definitely check craigslist for the tank itself. It's just a glass box and you can save a great deal on shipping if you find one local. I just got a great deal due to the fact that this lady didn't have the energy to maintain a 55 gal she bought. Everything else can be purchased online. Even if you find one with minor scratches on the walls you will be surprised how beautiful it will look when lighted. I wouldn't buy one that has been through a lot of abuse but its easy to tell if it has. Any concern of leaking can be easily taken care of with a little aquarium grade silicon.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I picked up a brand new 55 with stand for $100 from craigslist. Guy was going into the army so I got a great deal. Even came with everything needed, but I still replaced everything LOL.

Good Luck.
180g- Mostly BIG fish and some coral. ~80g Nuvo- My coral tank with "happy fish"~ 90g- FOWLR Not the not happy type of fish~ 125g- Freshwater Malawi Cichlids ~10g- Nuvo- The refugees from the Ich of '18
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #4

Oh wow I didn't think about Craigs list. I'm going to check that out because I really need a tank.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #5

Have you looked on eBay?

Often people spend on high end kit and just aren't cut out for fish keeping so the kit ends up being sold off. Usually best if you can view it first and check it for signs of damage or leaks.

I'm not sure what makes/brands you guys have over there but I've had Fluval/Hagen and Juwel. I'd say I preferred the build quality of Fluval/Hagen.

Good luck!
Old 02-25-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

if you can wait you can pick up a 55G for $55 at petco's $1/gallon sale. its just a simple Aqueon, but i dont think they'd sell so many if they were known for having problems
Old 02-25-2011, 11:51 AM   #7

Why do I bother living here?

Compared to you folks, everything is SOOOOO expensive!
Old 02-25-2011, 12:22 PM   #8

I saw the Aeon tank kit online at petco.com and it had great reviews too. That's the one I was leaning towards.

I haven't looked on Ebay. My only apprehension about doing Ebay is what happens if I get a tank and it's totally busted? Am I allowed to send it back or do I just file a complaint

Craig's List was dry. I actually found wanted ads for tanks.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I've fallen in love with 'Deep Blue' products. My 75g and now most of my lights are that brand.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

If you have the patience, never give up on Craigslist. I found a 10gal one week and since then I see listings every week for anything from empty tanks to whole setups - 20-125gal. New tanks are pretty expensive.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com