What cat and pleco to pick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlidpaul

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hi everyone
i am close to stocking my 120 gallon lake malawi with some haps and peacocks and the like it will be an all male tank , my question is what catfish and pleco do you think i sould get i have one or two in mind a raphael catfish a tiger pleco L226 or a gold nugget pleco L018

your thoughts would be appreciated

thanks

Paul

cichlidpaul said:
hi everyone
i am close to stocking my 120 gallon lake malawi with some haps and peacocks and the like it will be an all male tank , my question is what catfish and pleco do you think i sould get i have one or two in mind a raphael catfish a tiger pleco L226 or a gold nugget pleco L018

your thoughts would be appreciated

thanks

Paul

For cats I like Syndontis Petricola

i would suggest like a gold nugget pleco they are very cool. Just so you know as an all male tank your peacocks will not color anywhere near what they could be with females present.

Sonomakid said:
i would suggest like a gold nugget pleco they are very cool. Just so you know as an all male tank your peacocks will not color anywhere near what they could be with females present.

They are cool think i may go for the gold nugget if i can get hold of one as for the colour of the males i know they won't show as much but they will still look stunning with the right water quality and lighting

For cats I like Syndontis Petricola

Most of the Syndontis cats are cool but prefer to be in small schools of at least 5 specimens. You would need to factor these guys in your bioload too.

As far as plecs I would use 1-2 Britslenose's for algae control.

I prefer clown loaches for bottom crew, wether it's Malawi or CA/SA cichlids.

HUKIT said:
Most of the Syndontis cats are cool but prefer to be in small schools of at least 5 specimens. You would need to factor these guys in your bioload too.

As far as plecs I would use 1-2 Britslenose's for algae control

I prefer clown loaches for bottom crew, wether it's Malawi or CA/SA cichlids.

Hi HUKIT
I know they are good algae eaters but they scare me lol just not sure about them but saying that i just might force myself to get one as well as a nugget
The only reason in going for the raph is that i had one in with my red devil and Oscar and he was fine and held his own against them plus the wife wants one and we know what that means lol

I doubt a gold nugget would be comfortable in the hard, alkaline water the Malawi fish prefer. BN are more adaptable, particularly the domesticated common variety.
The L-204 flash pleco does like hard, alkaline water but requires driftwood in its diet (and poops sawdust), makes quite a mess.

I have a featherfin cat in my Malawi tank, he's awesome and does a great job cleaning. Here's a quick pic of him.

Attachments

• image-486321913.jpg
    image-486321913.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 83
I doubt a gold nugget would be comfortable in the hard, alkaline water the Malawi fish prefer. BN are more adaptable, particularly the domesticated common variety.
The L-204 flash pleco does like hard, alkaline water but requires driftwood in its diet (and poops sawdust), makes quite a mess.

I have kept gold nuggets in cichlid tanks before without any issue, they seem to common place in cichlid tanks in this area.

Sonomakid said:
I have kept gold nuggets in cichlid tanks before without any issue, they seem to common place in cichlid tanks in this area.

What was your ph sonomakid when you kept them

Back
Top Bottom