what cichlids can peacefully go in a 50 gal aquarium with no fights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan_Forbz

Aquarium Advice Activist
as ive mentioned in other posts. i have this 50 gal tank, and dont know what to do with it. i was contemplating an oscar, or placing my maingano in there with other maingano's. and just had a spark of idea, can my maingano go with any other cichlids that wouldnt cause problems. ive read that supposedly if there are no other males that look similar they should be fine. but because he is already an adult, maybe its best to just not include him and he can have the rest of his life in the 5 gal tank. or perhaps the 8.8 gal im gonna be getting soonish.

anyone got any ideas of what i should do with the maingano, place him in the big tank or leave him out, and put other fish in there.

i know that oscars cannot go with many other fish. i.e: mainly just other oscars if they happen to get along and there is enough room ( 150 g for like 2) lol.

what other fish could possibly go with the maingano, or without him peacefully??

I cant really say that you will have a "peaceful" tank, but for the most part, any mbuna will work. I'd recommend against fish like Johanni and Auratus, just because of the similar body shape and fact that the Johanni (IMO) look alot like Maingano. Fish like Kenyi, Red/Colbalt Zebras, Bumblebees, probably even yellow labs (depending on how aggressive your maingano are).

The biggest thing you'll want to make sure of is that you keep 1m-several females of each fish. That should help alot with keeping aggression to a minimum.

From what I understand, everybody has a different opinion of Maingano. Some say they're some of the most aggressive of the mbuna, some say they're not. Everybody warned me that Auratus were very aggressive, yet my male Kenyi bosses them around like they're guppies.

Lots of rocks will also help, especially if each fish has 2-3 or more spots that they can claim their own

I have yellow labs with my maingano and they are great together. The labs are spitting out babies like a camel chewing skoal. The biggest maingano runs the tank but I have enough cover to keep everyone busy and I rearrange the tank after every other water change. It seems to help some of the aggression. I don't think they are as aggressive as other melanochromis, but they will likely be the dominant fish in the tank.

okay , thanks for that , yes my maingano is rather aggressive, his already had his way with electric yellows before. and a few other fish. i saw an auratus today that was sent back to the pet store because of his aggression, and the other fish in the tank were frightened and hiding behind the filter because if they moved he would attack them. so i presume all melachromis are reasonably aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom