What cichlids do you have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CICHLID_LOVER

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 500g tank with one midas, one dovii,one jaguar,one peacock bass, and one umbee. I have a 40g tank with a pair of Jack Dempsey. A 45g tank with a pair of convict.A 20g tank with a pair of firemouth. And a goldfish/koi show tank.

do you keep the convicts to feed the other fish lol :ROFLMAO:
Im redoing my tank after losing all my fish after a 1 week power loss this winter , no heat , no water no electric , no fish
Im thinking of a few severums ( I want to get a bunch of fry and raise a pair ) and a few clown loachs to keep the gravel clean ( Yes I will feed the loachs) maybe a few sharks or rainbows to fill the top of the tank :dance:

120g with a Jack Dempsey and Firemouths

115g with Angelfish (yes, they are cichlids)

115g that I'm re-doing after losing my Mbunas to a heater malfunction, it will have Kribs

40g breeder German Blue Rams

20g long Apistogramma Panduros

55g Bolivian rams

36g hex will have a pair of apistogramma cacatuoides

do you keep the convicts to feed the other fish lol :ROFLMAO:
Im redoing my tank after losing all my fish after a 1 week power loss this winter , no heat , no water no electric , no fish
Im thinking of a few severums ( I want to get a bunch of fry and raise a pair ) and a few clown loachs to keep the gravel clean ( Yes I will feed the loachs) maybe a few sharks or rainbows to fill the top of the tank :dance:
Ha ha yah sometimes i feed the fry to my 500g cichlids or my JDs

Peacocks : Maylandi, Chiwindi, Strawberry, Benga, Red Shoulder, Red flash, Lwanda, German Red, Ngara, Lithobates
Haps: Fryeri, Lethrinops intermedius, Lethrinops Itungi, Makobe Island, Fusco,
Mbuna, Albino Socolofi, Hongi.
Trophs: Firecrackers
Dwarfs: GBR's

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Apistogramma - Atahualpa (wild), Sp. Caro Pintado (wild), Baenschi Inka (wild), Macmasteri (wild), Papagei (F1), Erythrura Mamore (F1), Paraguay Borelli (F1), Trifasiata Rio Guapore (F1), Paraguay Borelli (F1), Winklefleck (F1), Sp. Pebas (F1), Honglsoi Rostrich, Tefe Pearl Orange, Agassizii Fire Red, Panduro, Cacatuoides double/triple Reds

Laetacara Curvisceps and Dorsigera

German Blue, Electric Blue, Gold and wild type Rams

Geophagus - Steindachneri, Tapajos I and Tapajos II

Then a few other non cichlids and 9 different dwarf shrimp species.

Apistogramma - Atahualpa (wild), Sp. Caro Pintado (wild), Baenschi Inka (wild), Macmasteri (wild), Papagei (F1), Erythrura Mamore (F1), Paraguay Borelli (F1), Trifasiata Rio Guapore (F1), Paraguay Borelli (F1), Winklefleck (F1), Sp. Pebas (F1), Honglsoi Rostrich, Tefe Pearl Orange, Agassizii Fire Red, Panduro, Cacatuoides double/triple Reds

Laetacara Curvisceps and Dorsigera

German Blue, Electric Blue, Gold and wild type Rams

Geophagus - Steindachneri, Tapajos I and Tapajos II

Then a few other non cichlids and 9 different dwarf shrimp species.

Wow, looks like you bought everthing David had available over the last couple years lol. I very much like this list.

By the way caro pintado/carapintada is now paulmuelleri

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have convicts, angelfish, yellow labs, and red zebras. In different tanks of corse.

Haps: otopharynx lithobates, red empress, placidochromis electra, placidochromis phenochilus tanzania, mylochromis ericotaenia manda, cyrtocara moorii, and a lethrinops mbawa blackfin

Peacocks: ruben red peacock, Aulonocara Stuartgranti Usisya, and a dragonblood peacock

Yes I quite like the fish from David. Some of the best Apisto's around he has. I've gotten a majority from him and a few from the lfs and a couple others online. I'm out of space at the moment for new fish unless I see something on my "list" at which point I'd obviously get it but until we finish the basement, my tanks are full. I love these little fish.

Well let's see, I have 2 red zebras, 2 yellow labs, 2 jewels, and 2 yellow tail acei. I've been offered two snow white socolofi but know nothing about them so have not accepted them as yet...the transition is in limbo until the Quarantine tank is complete. Plus, need to be sure they will be ok with the above list. Oh, set up is 45g, stone and driftwood with hidey holes and my attempt at live plants (all of which I have taken great care to ensure roots are protected, since I understand that Cichlids have a direct connection to allied van lines and like to move things; new plant friendly light has been added for low light plants as all are in this category.) Suggestions and corrections accepted. I'd love for this to be right as rain...tap water natural ph is 6.6, nitrates Nil, nitrites about the same. ammonia currently nonexistent. Running an aquen 55/75 on this tank and have been considering an additional filter. Thoughts please?

Thats more of the pH for South Americans and some other fish but not African's from the Rift Lakes. I don't keep Africans my brother does but I think it should be 8.0 or maybe a little higher.?. And they will dig like crazy so if it's not well rooted or tied down chances are it'll be floating. Typically there aren't plants in African tanks but more just rocks but you could use driftwood and plants as my brother has plants in a few of his tanks both Malawi and Tanganyikan.

What I would give for tap water that comes out at 6.6. I'm lucky if I get 7.6 if it's not closer to 7.8-7.9 most of the time. It takes work to get and keep my water down below 6.7.

Socolofis should be ok with that group. They dig like crazy. I keep my PH at 8.2 which is it's normal. My tap water is perfect for Africans, hard and alkaline.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm by no means an expert or close to it with African's but I like to think I know a little so anyone else feel free to chime in.

Correct me if I am wrong, there are non chemical things that can be added to increase ph yes? I tested the natural ph to see where it was and if it needed to be adjusted. I have avoided the baking soda thing as I understand it has to be continued to be effective...shells?

My tap comes out at 7.2-7.4 and my tank is around 8.0. I use lots of limestone (holey rock) relative to the tank size

My cichlids are very limited right now as I had to tear all my tanks down to move, and living with your sister temporarily isn't the best time to seta bunch up lol but I have neolamprologus Multifasciatus and spathodus erythrodon "Burundi"

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom