What cichlids should i get ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No SA cichlid for the 10g. Get at least a 30g tank, and you can have a pair of dwarf cichlids.

You should not buy feeder fish from the fish store. They carry diseases and parasites that will infect your fish.

What are some South American cichlids I could get in a 10 g tank that will eat feeder fish

Why are you looking for a fish that eats feeders? Generally people get fish and get stuck using feeders because they can't train them for pellets right away.

Also - 10G is too small. You're in the wrong part of town (SA/CA cichlids) if you are looking for stocking a tank that small.

You can get african cichlids known as shell dwellers (N. brevis, N. caudopunctatus, N. occelatus, N. multifaciatus, N specious ) and can easily be housed in tanks as small as 10 gallons

There are a few South American cichlids that would work but you'd have to order them online as you won't find them at most LFS's. The two smallest in the Apistogramma genus is angayuara and salpinction both I've seen through various swaps (but they are on the rare side still being they were discovered in 2005)and would be perfectly suited for a 10g.

Last edited:
I don't think d. Maculatus would be a good choice for a 10g...mine are awfully active and about 2.5-3 inches long. They're great fish, I just think a 20g would be better personally. I think many of the smaller Apistos will work, as HUKIT recommended

I paid $30 EACH for my maculatus and don't regret it, great fish. Obviously you don't see them too often either so I snatched them ul

I don't think d. Maculatus would be a good choice for a 10g...mine are awfully active and about 2.5-3 inches long. They're great fish, I just think a 20g would be better personally. I think many of the smaller Apistos will work, as HUKIT recommended

I paid $30 EACH for my maculatus and don't regret it, great fish. Obviously you don't see them too often either so I snatched them ul

A pair or trio in a planted 10 gallon would be just fine. A 10 gallon still has a good amount for floor space for a couple 3" cichlids.

I guess, I just don't think you'll see as much of Their natural behaviors in such a small space, but everyone has their own opinions and experiences, right? :)

Back
Top Bottom