what cichlids should i get for my 20 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What are you looking for? More cichlids? And the what africans cichlids did you keep in a 20gal?

The most beautiful cichlid to me is German Blue Ram. It is not african and requires softer water, but if I set up the 20G species tank, I would get 4-5 of them.

Wow, I just looked for some photos of a German Blue Ram and they are absolutely gorgeous! The only thing is that they're difficult to care for (according to the website I was on anyway). Maybe when I have more experience, I'll give these guys a shot! :)

- Mandy

Mandy,
I've found them far more hearty than they say. My water is less than perfect and my rams are thriving. I would give them a shot for sure. They are nice community fish and have tons of personality. JMO of course. :wink:

I think kribensis would be a good choice for that size tank, but only a pair, and probably nothing else in the tank.

Otherwise you'd need to stick with apistogramma types or rams, as mentioned, perhaps a couple of keyholes, or shelldwellers if you have hard water. You might be able to keep a pair of N. brichardi, but that is a big if, and again, only the pair. They would spawn, however, and they permit several generations to remain in the tank with them - kindof cool.

It also depends on whether it is a 20 long or a 20 high.

The only problem I've had with rams is I've had ones that didn't ship well. Once they recieved a bit of TLC, they perked up and were rather tough.

Look at Bolivian Rams. They are not as colorful as blues, but are much hardier and have good personalities. :D

bolivian rams are actually closer in color to REAL blue rams. The blue rams you see on the market with HUGE color have been bred many times to get that way. A lot of inbreeding goes on and if you are not careful with the strain you get, it may be a very week strain and just die

I love my Bolivian rams- they have so much personality and are very entertaining once they get settled in. I think I have a male and female but they don't seem to like each other. :roll: Anyway, if you are nervous about keeping blue rams give the Bolivians a try. They may be harder for you to find though, I hardly ever see them around here. If you get some I wouldn't put any more than 2 in a 20 gallon as they can be very territorial.

I got a cichlid a couple weeks ago that's really cool- a nannacara anomala (labeled "golden dwarf" at LFS). They only had 1 so it shares my 20 gallon with 7 gold pristella tetras and a gold nugget pleco. If you can find one they are really pretty fish, but seem to be very shy and skittish.

Back
Top Bottom