what cichlids will go good with my mollys?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

masterfish

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have like 2 adult mollys and about 20 Molly fry that are big enough not to fit in the adults mouths and I was hoping to find cichlids that get along with the mollys and can also breed really easily that I can find at my lfs (petsmart) I'm planning to put my mollys in my new 55 gallon fishtank and I want to try breeding cichlids in it that won't kill my Mollys

Honestly I wouldn't mix any breeding cichlid pair with Molly's. since they need somewhat brackish water and I think most cichlids would bully the Molly's. the only type I would try are Bolivian Rams but in my experience they are Hardish to breed.

My friend has a pair of the blue rams but I don't know how to breed them or to tell the gender

German blue rams are normally pretty peaceful towards other fish. I have 3 in my community tank and the most the do is chase one of my other fish every once in a while.

I'd recommend rams, other cichlids are way to aggressive and will kill the Molly's.

The only time German Blue rams get super aggressive is when breeding, if the Molly's swim in their territory near the eggs, they might get aggravated and attack them. Just make sure you have plenty of caves, plants, and hiding places and it will all go well if you add The rams.

You do need to consider that Molly's are recommended to be in brackish water (half salt water, half fresh water) and cichlids aren't though. Molly's can live in freshwater but they aren't going to thrive.

I'm agreeing with what's said. I'll add something but I may be wrong. If so, then someone please correct me. Since mollies breed like rabbits, your rams may eat some of the fry, along with the adult mollies. If your fine with letting nature take it's course, then ok. But if you want to give the fry a fighting chance, provide plenty of plants for cover.

I will give them a finding chance but I wouldn't care if some of them got eaten because there's so many of them and probably more on the way and the only semi aggresive fish I had (pictus catfish) died last month .....kinda sounds mean but off you were in my shoes you would understand

I will give them a finding chance but I wouldn't care if some of them got eaten because there's so many of them and probably more on the way and the only semi aggresive fish I had (pictus catfish) died last month .....kinda sounds mean but off you were in my shoes you would understand

If your referring to some of the fry getting eaten, I'm fine with letting some get eaten.

Back
Top Bottom