What color LED's make the fish/plants pop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MeCasa

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm building a large LED array for my 150 and I'm running a few spots that will act as night lights. I have my tank sectioned off in areas and I need colors for two of those areas

My plant area, what will bring out the green plants at night

white?
lime?
cyan?
blue?

The next area is all limestone and quartz sand and this is where I want to highlight the fish

royal blue?
blue?
violet?
purple?

Some combination thereof.

The fish will be Central American Cichlids

Dempsey, Firemouth, Green Terror etc.

Thanks

Look for "colormax"bulbs, - red LEDs. I have found red LEDs, WITH blue LEDS, (white as well) give you amazing color. This is my set up. Fast forwards to like minute 3 to see the lighting setup
http://youtu.be/nLgCeN1stQU

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm already building a massive LED array but I want some night lights. Dempsey's have a tremendous color under specific spectrum, almost florescence. I want some very dim night lights where the tank stays dark but there's enough light coming through to make the fish sparkle when they cross under these LED's.

Sounds cheap but I want almost a black light look, dark tank, ye just a little sparkle in fish. I was wondering how a violet, extreme royal blue or purple LED would affect coloring

Very nice Squirrilah Fish, not just the lights but the entire tank :)

Try the Finnex Planted Plus. It has red, white and blue LEDs. the blues are on a separate switch if you want the "moon" effect. This fixture is good for plants too.

Try the Finnex Planted Plus.
I'm building a large LED array for my 150 and I'm running a few spots that will act as night lights. I have my tank sectioned off in areas and I need colors for two of those areas

I was looking for an opinion on specific color spots that will highlight my cichlids at night.

Black light affect, dark tank, dim lights bringing out florescence in fish

Current USA has a nice setup along with a remote that gives you just about every color you can imagine to make the tank pop

Stop throwing around brands or ops heads going to pop.. blues greens, reds, and 7000k whites

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Brookster, I've been working with the LED gurus over at Nano and the consensus is that Royal Blue is the way to go.

Violet won't work because it emits hardly any visible light and won't have much affect on the reflective scales of the fish

Red doesn't work well because it dissipates very fast and as such you would need so many LED's that it would flood the area ruining the look

Blue isn't great because blue contains a mostly white (or visa versa) and will over illuminate

Royal Blue is the perfect spectrum, it will bring out the fish while not lighting the tank and the trick is not to use many

As for night lights on the plants, a combination of cool white and warm white will do the trick especially with lenses to control your beam on the plants as to not flood the area. Keep the LED's in a cluster to mix the whites.

The guys that helped me are the best of the best, I hope you can use this info someday

Take care

The reds certainly make a difference, I can attest to that, they are situated in a 1:3 ratio I believe which is quite a bit of reds. Besides I'm talking planted tank benefits, for cichlids it's all about the color.. I'd base it off a sw light and go heavy on those navy blues you speak of..similar to acnic lights..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The reds certainly make a difference, I can attest to that, they are situated in a 1:3 ratio I believe which is quite a bit of reds. Besides I'm talking planted tank benefits, for cichlids it's all about the color.. I'd base it off a sw light and go heavy on those navy blues you speak of..similar to acnic lights..

I don't disagree and my plant array has a ton of red and deep red.

This thread was about a few lights to leave on all night long, these lights won't even cycle on till 1AM, not enough to disturb the fish's sleep time but just enough to highlight a few things and see the fish as if they were in a black light. My tank is 28" deep which makes a difference on the amount of red needed for a night light whereas a shallow tank would have less dissipation and more success without having to flood the tank.

I cycle through daytime plant lights, evening moonlights and all night night lights

As much of my money as this tank has ATE, I want the ultimate night light my bedroom ;-)

Back
Top Bottom