What else can live with malawi cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll add more rocks as I go just gotta control myself from braking my bank account on decor lol. Is their some kind of snail or something I can add to sift through the sand Ive heard that gasses get trapped in the sand and it needs to be stirred or will they do it because they like to dig themselves this is my first time with sand?

Jesselav1233 said:
I'll add more rocks as I go just gotta control myself from braking my bank account on decor lol. Is their some kind of snail or something I can add to sift through the sand Ive heard that gasses get trapped in the sand and it needs to be stirred or will they do it because they like to dig themselves this is my first time with sand?

I've always added Malaysian trumpet snails as they are the only snail that can protect themselves with their operculum (imagine it as if they can close a door on the opening of their shell). However cichlids are smart and eventually will get to them.

Don't worry about the gases, we just had a discussion about it and with all of my research and another well knowledgable member here we've informed people that it's nothing to worry about. If its something you're truly concerned of then just every couple of months either run a finger or an object through the sand to disturb anything that can be building up. Cichlids move a lot of the sand but there will still be areas that only the top 1/2" or so will be moved by them.

Definitely look into more rocks, holey rock is awesome but I avoid it simply because of the price. I always advise natural river rocks cause well it's free, just needs the time to be prepped for your tank (a very simple way is to scrub them real good and then let them sit for 24 in a bucket of water and bleach, then another 24 of just water, followed by another 24 hours of sitting in the open. If you can't smell bleach on it you're good.

Next thing I really recommend is painting your background. A $3 can of black spray paint will make the world of difference bringing the colors of your fish out and unlike those crappy/fake looking backgrounds you won't ever need to worry about water getting behind it.

Malawi Freak said:
I've always added Malaysian trumpet snails as they are the only snail that can protect themselves with their operculum (imagine it as if they can close a door on the opening of their shell). However cichlids are smart and eventually will get to them.

Don't worry about the gases, we just had a discussion about it and with all of my research and another well knowledgable member here we've informed people that it's nothing to worry about. If its something you're truly concerned of then just every couple of months either run a finger or an object through the sand to disturb anything that can be building up. Cichlids move a lot of the sand but there will still be areas that only the top 1/2" or so will be moved by them.

Definitely look into more rocks, holey rock is awesome but I avoid it simply because of the price. I always advise natural river rocks cause well it's free, just needs the time to be prepped for your tank (a very simple way is to scrub them real good and then let them sit for 24 in a bucket of water and bleach, then another 24 of just water, followed by another 24 hours of sitting in the open. If you can't smell bleach on it you're good.

Next thing I really recommend is painting your background. A $3 can of black spray paint will make the world of difference bringing the colors of your fish out and unlike those crappy/fake looking backgrounds you won't ever need to worry about water getting behind it.

Okay I won't worry about the gasses then I have a thin cover of sand anyways so I don't think much could get trapped. I always get the crappy fake backgrounds lol what material do u spray paint and put behind the tank? I was thinking about getting this dark blue background they sell at the petsmart near me

Just spray directly on the glass. If you ever want to change it a razor blade takes it right off. I've always held a piece of cardboard against the edges just to keep it clean but if you get a little on the sides you can just scrape it off. Just be careful of the seals when scraping.

I noticed you have an air stone in there too. Unlike most advice given from pet stores, your hob filter will oxygenate the water enough you don't need it.

It's all preference though. A lot of people like it just for the look.

Malawi Freak said:
I noticed you have an air stone in there too. Unlike most advice given from pet stores, your hob filter will oxygenate the water enough you don't need it.

It's all preference though. A lot of people like it just for the look.

Yeah I like how they look a lot and I figure it won't hurt anything to put a little extra in there for my little finned friends

Malawi Freak said:
Just spray directly on the glass. If you ever want to change it a razor blade takes it right off. I've always held a piece of cardboard against the edges just to keep it clean but if you get a little on the sides you can just scrape it off. Just be careful of the seals when scraping.

I was afraid you were gonna say that lol

Back
Top Bottom