what fish to breed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you prepared to have multiple tanks set up and have the proper food for fry.

yes, i am custom building a stand to hold multiple tanks and i have the equipment to run them.

speaking of food what would apisto fry eat? bbs?

I'm no expert but I fed my convict fry liquid fry food twice a day until they were big enough to eat the first bites powdered food and they did great. I tried the same approach when my brichardi had fry but didn't get to find out if it was wrkn cause I made a rookie mistake and forgot to plug my heater bk up after doing a pwc one day :(

It is plenty, but you'll still need a growout for the fry. After a week or two, the parents will likely want to spawn again, and if there are already babies in the tank, they might eat them.

A mattenfilter divider is great for a spawning/growout setup. After the fry are free-swimming you can move the pair to the other side of the sponge to do their thing again, and if it's well established the sponge will provide plenty of micro-critters for the tiny fry to snack on between feedings.

It is plenty, but you'll still need a growout for the fry. After a week or two, the parents will likely want to spawn again, and if there are already babies in the tank, they might eat them.

i figured i would just use one of the extra tens i have lying around for that

is that not sufficient?

A mattenfilter divider is great for a spawning/growout setup. After the fry are free-swimming you can move the pair to the other side of the sponge to do their thing again, and if it's well established the sponge will provide plenty of micro-critters for the tiny fry to snack on between feedings.

never heard of it. looks like i get to do a little research instead of watch jersey shore..yay

the mattenfilter idea is a good one, one question though is how would i go about filtration with that it seems to me a sponge wouldnt let enough come through if i were to run a HOB. would i just run a sponge filter on the growout side of the tank

The whole thing is a sponge filter, all you need is an air pump to help circulate the water. If you want to use a hob filter just set it so the intake is on one side of the divider, and the outflow on the other side. I use an old UG filter uplift tube with an air pump, with the water flowing through to the fry side of the sponge. PVC pipe and elbow/s would work just as well.

The whole thing is a sponge filter, all you need is an air pump to help circulate the water. If you want to use a hob filter just set it so the intake is on one side of the divider, and the outflow on the other side. I use an old UG filter uplift tube with an air pump, with the water flowing through to the fry side of the sponge. PVC pipe and elbow/s would work just as well.

ok, i just found a thread on another website about it. would i be looking for specific type of sponge for this?

i found one here Tank Divider - 15 and 20 gallon | Divider Panels | Breeding & Refugiums | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

would that kind work or is there a cheaper alternative that will work just as well?

That's just a divider, not a mattenfilter. You need a piece of foam big enough to fit the width and depth of the tank like that divider does. They aren't cheap, but will last for years.

ok ill have to look around for it, they have anything like that at say home depot or something

thank you for the link to both of those sites either of them will work, now just to get the stand built this next weekend and ill be on my way

They are essentially the same as brichardi, just a little different colors. Maybe a little more popular, but just as prolific and troublesome.

Back
Top Bottom