What gender is my neo. Bichardi cichlid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordo124

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is it

image-1664940249.jpg

image-1272845237.jpg

Its making caves. So i want to get it a mate... Aat ways can you use to identify the gender?

Birchardis are hard to sex especially at a young age. Males have longer dorsals than female. But without two to compare side by side it is difficult. Not 100% sure but maybe this is a female. I've seen longer dorsals before.

Wyomingite said:
+1. Venting is the only sure way to sex 'em other than havin' two pair up.

WYite

How do you vent them? I have heard of that but never have seen it..

How do you vent them? I have heard of that but never have seen it..

Lift up their skirts! ;)

Net the fish. With wet hands, gently turn the fish over to look at the bottom. There are two pores just to the front of the anal fin (the unpaired fin on the bottom, or ventral side, of the fish). The pore closest to the head is the anus, and will be similar in both genders. The pore farthest from the head, between the anus and the anal fin, is the genital papilla. Generally speaking, the genital pore will be smaller in diameter in males than females. Here's a good link to illustrate the basic differences, though all the fish illustrated are Lake Malawi mbuna.

Malawi Cichlids, Malawi Species Profiles, African Cichlids, Lake Malawi, Malawi Forum, Tanks, Articles, Books, Videos

Google pics of sexing or venting Neolamprologus brichardi to get some pics of how this species looks. With a little practice, it's really pretty easy.

WYite

Edit: P.S. IME it's easiest to vent with a bright indirect light that limits both shadows and glare. Ya also wanna keep the fish mostly in the water while doin' this. It seems to limit the stress on the fish, especially when yer new at it and hafta take a few seconds to make sure yer seein' things correctly.

Wyomingite said:
Lift up their skirts! ;)

Net the fish. With wet hands, gently turn the fish over to look at the bottom. There are two pores just to the front of the anal fin (the unpaired fin on the bottom, or ventral side, of the fish). The pore closest to the head is the anus, and will be similar in both genders. The pore farthest from the head, between the anus and the anal fin, is the genital papilla. Generally speaking, the genital pore will be smaller in diameter in males than females. Here's a good link to illustrate the basic differences, though all the fish illustrated are Lake Malawi mbuna.

Malawi Cichlids, Malawi Species Profiles, African Cichlids, Lake Malawi, Malawi Forum, Tanks, Articles, Books, Videos

Google pics of sexing or venting Neolamprologus brichardi to get some pics of how this species looks. With a little practice, it's really pretty easy.

WYite

Edit: P.S. IME it's easiest to vent with a bright indirect light that limits both shadows and glare. Ya also wanna keep the fish mostly in the water while doin' this. It seems to limit the stress on the fish, especially when yer new at it and hafta take a few seconds to make sure yer seein' things correctly.

Oh thank you! I just vented all my african cichlids and found out that my bichardi is a male!
All 3 of My auratus cichlids are females,
All 3 of my zebra cichlids are males...

Back
Top Bottom