What Goes with Yellow Labs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Labenator65000

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 55 gallon. 3 Yellow Labs, 1 Ps.Acei, 2 Ruby Reds, 1 Blue Johannii and an Albino Rainbow Shark. All are about 3" long. I know I am understocked.

I'm planning to pick up probably 3 more Yellow labs and 3-4 more Ps.Acei.

I'm looking for some tank mates that won't beat up my Yellow Labs (or any other tank mates). I'm already pushing the envelope with the Johannii but I didn't know how aggressive it could potentially be until it was in the tank; so who knows if I will be able to keep it in there. (The lesson learned here is that LFS owners don't always know what they are talking about.)

I really prefer to purchase from an LFS, but I'm not going to make the mistake (again) of picking up any fish from inventory without first thoroughly investigating to make sure that I minimizing the risk of picking up anything too aggressive.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

The johannii will rule the roost most likely. If your ruby red is an Aulonocara, its a peacock and may have problems. As for the labs I would keep no less then 4 1 male and 3 female. Same with the Acei. I wouldnt add anymore species of Mbuna in that small of a tank. So you can add some labs and Acei and maybe remove the peacock. If the Jo is allowed to be the boss and dosent have a spawining partner you should be ok. Also thoes labs will make fry pretty quick so get ready. Same for the Acei

NyteGTI said:
I thought acei needed a 6' tank because of their swimming patterns?

I have heard both. I have 6 at about 3" in my 75g. But im also getting a 220g within the next year. Some say a 4' will work but a 6' is preferred. Also as far as the Acei are concerned I have read that the m/f ratio isn't as important with them as long as you have 7+. Mine are the least aggressive fish in my tank. Not arguing, just what my understanding was.

Jmedic25 said:
The johannii will rule the roost most likely. If your ruby red is an Aulonocara, its a peacock and may have problems. As for the labs I would keep no less then 4 1 male and 3 female. Same with the Acei. I wouldnt add anymore species of Mbuna in that small of a tank. So you can add some labs and Acei and maybe remove the peacock. If the Jo is allowed to be the boss and dosent have a spawining partner you should be ok. Also thoes labs will make fry pretty quick so get ready. Same for the Acei

What is the concern with the Ruby Red Peacocks? I did quite a bit of research on them and their compatibility and this is the first time I heave heard that there would be a problem with them. Although I don't plan on adding any more if them. As of now they are even more meek than the Labs are. As a matter of fact the Albino Rainbow shark, which is a puny 2.5" and generally mild adolescent, tends to bump at the Ruby Reds occasionally. I'm just glad the shark is showing some backbone in a tank full of tough and ornery tank mates. That shark was at death's door with a bad bout of ick that swept the tank a while back. I'm really surprised that it came back and is healthy again.

Agreed on your 1:3 M:F ratio for the Labs and Acei. I appreciate the reaffirmation. I do plan to (re)populate them but I have difficulty in sexing them as adolescents so it may be a bit of a guess work and luck. I hope they do spawn. Yellow Labs are my favorite and seem to be the easiest to keep.

Also agreed on the Johannii. He/She is on probation and under sharp supervision. He/She is about 3" now, and only gets a little nippy right after feeding time, but not so much that there are fins damaged, etc. As the others get bigger and the Johanni stays smaller the others are becoming less and less afraid of it and are starting to just ignore the minor harassment. I do appreciate finally hearing anything other than "get the Johannii out of there ASAP." If I'm lucky he/she is a she. I'm not getting another one.

I have heard others also advise not to add any more species, so I may just settle with that I have. It's really annoying how diverse the opinions of different people who all proclaim themselves to be experts are. The 4 LFS(es) in my area would all say that adding several move species to a 55 would be ok. It almost seems like I have to get 10 different opinions and then decide on the popular opinion. It's tough for a noob, let me tell you.

Anyway, thanks again. Your advice seems pretty much right-on with the popular opinions.

joel618 said:
I have heard both. I have 6 at about 3" in my 75g. But im also getting a 220g within the next year. Some say a 4' will work but a 6' is preferred. Also as far as the Acei are concerned I have read that the m/f ratio isn't as important with them as long as you have 7+. Mine are the least aggressive fish in my tank. Not arguing, just what my understanding was.

Well I have heard the 7+ Acei rule as well, but I believe this is just so that the chances are that there will enough females to go around for the males.

I started with 3, but lost 2 to ick. The one that is left (I plan to get 3-4 more) is not aggressive whatsoever, and hides the most when strangers come around the tank. The remaining one seems rather dark, though. The 2 that died had distinct yellow/green in their fins and almost entirely yellow/green tails. This one just has a hint at the very fringe of the fins and tail. It's the biggest fish in the tank at about 3.5." I half expect it to take charge here soon since it seems the most mature.

What is the concern with the Ruby Red Peacocks? I did quite a bit of research on them and their compatibility and this is the first time I heave heard that there would be a problem with them. Although I don't plan on adding any more if them. As of now they are even more meek than the Labs are. As a matter of fact the Albino Rainbow shark, which is a puny 2.5" and generally mild adolescent, tends to bump at the Ruby Reds occasionally. I'm just glad the shark is showing some backbone in a tank full of tough and ornery tank mates. That shark was at death's door with a bad bout of ick that swept the tank a while back. I'm really surprised that it came back and is healthy again.

Agreed on your 1:3 M:F ratio for the Labs and Acei. I appreciate the reaffirmation. I do plan to (re)populate them but I have difficulty in sexing them as adolescents so it may be a bit of a guess work and luck. I hope they do spawn. Yellow Labs are my favorite and seem to be the easiest to keep.

Also agreed on the Johannii. He/She is on probation and under sharp supervision. He/She is about 3" now, and only gets a little nippy right after feeding time, but not so much that there are fins damaged, etc. As the others get bigger and the Johanni stays smaller the others are becoming less and less afraid of it and are starting to just ignore the minor harassment. I do appreciate finally hearing anything other than "get the Johannii out of there ASAP." If I'm lucky he/she is a she. I'm not getting another one.

I have heard others also advise not to add any more species, so I may just settle with that I have. It's really annoying how diverse the opinions of different people who all proclaim themselves to be experts are. The 4 LFS(es) in my area would all say that adding several move species to a 55 would be ok. It almost seems like I have to get 10 different opinions and then decide on the popular opinion. It's tough for a noob, let me tell you.

Anyway, thanks again. Your advice seems pretty much right-on with the popular opinions.

IF you r tank were a 120 or larger I would say nothing about the peacock, The ruby red is a peaceful cichlid. While he is a lake malawi fish hes not what I concider a bad azz mbuna...Meaning he may get bullied because hes nice. But, remember in a bad azz mbuna tank...someone will get bullied

Jmedic25 said:
IF you r tank were a 120 or larger I would say nothing about the peacock, The ruby red is a peaceful cichlid. While he is a lake malawi fish hes not what I concider a bad azz mbuna...Meaning he may get bullied because hes nice. But, remember in a bad azz mbuna tank...someone will get bullied

Oh, are you saying that the Peacock will be on the receiving side of the bullying? I thought the concern was that it was going to be the aggressor.

Peacocks are on the peaceful side of the Malawi scale. There are no 100% answers with cichlids. Every tank and every fish has its own personality. Some keep peacocks with more aggressive malawis but its in much bigger tanks. Like this one...

Jmedic25 said:
Peacocks are on the peaceful side of the Malawi scale. There are no 100% answers with cichlids. Every tank and every fish has its own personality. Some keep peacocks with more aggressive malawis but its in much bigger tanks. Like this one...

That is one sweet tank...

Thanks for the tip!

Back
Top Bottom