What Happened?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pondmom

Aquarium Advice Freak
Last night I noticed that 2 of my Angels spawned and layed eggs on the HOB filter tube.
They were very territorial and chasing the other angels away.
This morning, they are gone :(
Did the parents eat them, the other angels, or maybe the pleco?
Hmmm...i'm sad

Yep. First-time angel parents are very likely to eat their own eggs. Other fish will pick them off too. You shouldn't be sad, as it takes some special effort and time to raise the babies anyway.

The good thing news--the angels will lay eggs again!! PM Allivymar--she has had a successful angelfish spawn and raised the little guys.

Do not fret, like Menagerie said, they will spawn again in a couple of weeks. Sometimes they are good parents and sometimes not, but often the first couple of spawns are lost for varoius reasons. They will definitely be more territorial now, but the couple will stick together. It is so interesting to see them taking turns fanning the eggs - keep us posted!

Yeah, you'll find they do all manner of responsible things to keep those babies alive *once* they've gotten the hang of it. This seems to be the case with most cichlids. They actually do have adult learned behavior. Second or third time's usually the charm with these guys.

Back
Top Bottom